Cougar Spike Micro-ATX PC Case Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

The average selling price on a PC case today in North America is right around $80, but today we are going well below that price point. The Cougar Spike micro-ATX chassis has an MSRP of $39.99, but it is available right now from Newegg for $24.99 shipped after a $5 rebate! For $24.99 you might be wondering what you get and to be honest, it's not half bad!

At the end of the day the Cougar Spike micro-ATX gaming case is a great value for $24.99 shipped after a $5 mail-in rebate at Newegg. If Cougar can produce and sell the Spike for so little it makes you wonder what kind of markup is on the other gaming cases out there. The Cougar Spike has is all blacked out, has a USB 3.0 front panel port and room for four case fans. There really isn't much not to like about this case and unless you have a ton of hard drives or solid-state drives, the Spike should do the trick!

Article Title: Cougar Spike Micro-ATX PC Case Review
Article URL: http://legitreviews.com/article/2139/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $24.99 Shipped AR
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
INeedAFnSuffix
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: Cougar Spike Micro-ATX PC Case Review

Post by INeedAFnSuffix »

You mention Mini-ITX on page 3 :lol:
A build like this probably should be for the man who has no care for a huge cooler such as that :lol: (Although i use a 160mm tall cooler myself)
Even a Hyper 212+ will barely close and you won't be able to install a side fan either, if you want a side fan install a cooler that is 135mm tall (Usually quite small) i also have these problems in my cheap micro-atx case with a deepcool ice edge mini, it will close but it takes some trick to close nicely (My case is only 160mm wide)
Definitely for low-profile coolers like a Deepcool "Shark" if you want a IVB inside

A Deepcool Ice Edge 400 FS will fit with a 25mm side panel fan and still give you decent cooling (With 8.5mm clearance)
Every case review should come with heatsink clearance with the side panel on!
Because it's a massive bummer if you buy a 200mm wide case and find out after installing a 160mm tall cooler you can't put a side panel fan

For a build like this i'd have a i3-3220 (IF i wasn't after Trinity), Asrock B75-DGS 7770/7850 a ice edge 400 FS (If you can get one) and a seasonic S12II-520W if i'm after maximised savings

I just hate the stock cooler intel provides. All the time
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cougar Spike Micro-ATX PC Case Review

Post by Apoptosis »

INeedAFnSuffix wrote:You mention Mini-ITX on page 3 :lol:
Fixed! This is my first case review since 2009, so I'm a bit rusty ;)
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!