Diamond UE3000 USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Diamond UE3000 USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter Review

Post by Apoptosis »

Diamond Multimedia UE3000 USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter Review

Are you looking for a SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter? Diamond Multimedia recently introduced the UE3000 USB 3.0 10/100/1000M Gigabit Ethernet Adapter and we have given it some test time on an Intel Ultrabook to see how it performs versus the USB 2.0 10/100M Fast Ethernet Adapter that came with it. Read on to see how it performs!

Our performance testing showed that we were able to average 642Mbps read and 757Mbps write with the Diamond UE3000 on our particular test setup. The USB 2.0 10/100M network adapter that we've been using for the past year could only averaged 77Mbps read and 93Mbps write, so this is a major performance improvement. We can only hope that if a mobile device doesn't come with an integrated Ethernet port (RJ-45 connector) that a SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet Adapter will be included in the near future. If not, have no fear as the Diamond UE3000 is now available for purchase...
Article Title: Diamond Multimedia UE3000 USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2236/1/
Pricing At Time of Print: $29.99 Shipped
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Diamond UE3000 USB 3.0 to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter Revie

Post by Major_A »

Nice improvement. Seriously PC manufacturers/vendors/OEM/everyone, can we just let USB 2.0 die already? My memory isn't what it used to be but I don't recall USB 1.0 hanging on like USB 2.0 has.
sgkean
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by sgkean »

Major_A wrote:Nice improvement. Seriously PC manufacturers/vendors/OEM/everyone, can we just let USB 2.0 die already? My memory isn't what it used to be but I don't recall USB 1.0 hanging on like USB 2.0 has.
That's a major pet peeve of mine...drop USB 2.0 from cases and motherboards. The internal USB 3.0 connection can easily be made to work with internal USB 2.0 headers so do that for those that want to continue using USB 2.0. My current motherboard has three internal USB 3.0 headers, and it's hard to find a case with more than 2 USB 3.0 front ports...drives me nunts!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

sgkean wrote:That's a major pet peeve of mine...drop USB 2.0 from cases and motherboards. The internal USB 3.0 connection can easily be made to work with internal USB 2.0 headers so do that for those that want to continue using USB 2.0. My current motherboard has three internal USB 3.0 headers, and it's hard to find a case with more than 2 USB 3.0 front ports...drives me nunts!
Only recently have motherboards had native support for USB 3.0 headers. Keep in mind the Intel z77 chipset that served us well for 1+ years only natively supported 4 USB 3.0 ports and usually two were on the rear I/O panel and the other two were for the front panel. SuperSpeed USB 3.0 headers also cost more than USB 2.0 headers, so it adds to the build cost of the case. When doing sub $100 cases I can understand not using them to help keep the MSRP as low as possible while keeping the same profit margin. Now that Z87 is here with more USB 3.0 ports, this is becoming relevant. That explained... Yes, not is the time to move to all USB 3.0.
Attachments
z77-diagram.jpg
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
sgkean
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by sgkean »

That's why it'll be hard to replace the Bitfenix Raider case I have, four front USB 3.0 ports; retail price is $89 for it too. If they can do it, others can too lol

And I know the Z87 is making the USB 3.0 header more feasible, but again, other motherboards in the older generation has more than 1 internal header. My Gigabyte has 3 internal headers, so I can have 6 front USB 3.0 ports :D So maybe I'm just spoiled lol
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Sorry to veer off topic a bit here. Any idea when the new 10Gbps USB 3.5 standard is due to arrive?
sgkean
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by sgkean »

Last I heard (during CES 2013) was like 2nd quarter 2014. Not sure if that's still the target...