Crucial M550 512GB SSD Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Crucial M550 512GB SSD Review

Post by Apoptosis »

In the face of increasingly stout competition, Crucial has again put their faith in a Marvell controller to power their latest flagship drive. Marvell hasn’t had the fastest SSD controllers in the past and was often left on the sidelines with many manufacturers favoring parts from Indilinx, Samsung, Intel and SandForce instead. However, they’ve always been dependable and we’ve seen their performance improve substantially as of late so we were extremely eager to get Crucial’s new M550 drive powered by the Marvell 88SS9187 controller on our test bench. We won’t give away all the goods in the first paragraph but suffice it to say that we were duly impressed with the results...

Article Title: Crucial M550 512GB SSD Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/crucial-m55 ... iew_137538
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Crucial M550 512GB SSD Review

Post by sbohdan »

I did buy the C300 which was the first (as far as I know) SATAIII. SSD and the fastest SSD at the time. I can confirm it's reliability, 'çause it still works (in one of my laptops). It seems Crucial is again in the top, even if not the first place in speed and hopefuly is still just as reliable as they were with their drives since. The price is good as well. Very nice :supz:
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

I wish the 1TB SSD drives would be, at most, double the regular HD cost so I could justify it! I would love to snag a couple 1TB drives to use for boot drives, ps3 drive, laptop, etc ;)

Speed kills - oh wait....

Honestly with how close all the drives are I dont think it matters a whole lot unless you are using them in a data center for massive amounts of copying files and then you probably have NAS drives which arent SSD anyway.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Aparantly the speed is lower on the 256GB and smaller dives due to less NAND chips (This drive uses 128Gbit NAND as opposed to other manufacturers using 64Gbit)
This drive only has brought speeds up to where they should have been, the new revision of the controller does not improve performance only reliability

While I'd be happy to own one, others have faster drives out there already (write speeds) and they also have new controllers coming out, so soon this drive will be outdated.