Cryorig R1 Ultimate CPU Cooler Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Cryorig R1 Ultimate CPU Cooler Review

Post by Apoptosis »

Founded in 2013, CRYORIG is a relatively new name in the world of high performance computer cooling, but the team has a lot of experience in the field, with many of them having worked previously at companies such as Thermalright, Phanteks, Prolimatech and more. Today we are going to look at the biggest, baddest, traditional heatsink that CRYORIG offers, the R1 Ultimate. The R1 Ultimate is designed to be used on various CPU sockets, though given it’s $89.00 price and overall scope, we expect it to be used with high end CPU’s from Intel on the X99, Z97 and Z170 platforms.

Article Title: Cryorig R1 Ultimate CPU Cooler Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/cryorig-r1- ... iew_176339
Pricing At Time of Print: $89.00 Shipped on Amazon
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Cryorig R1 Ultimate CPU Cooler Review

Post by sbohdan »

86C under load? All these air coolers are garbage as far as I'm concerned. My WC setup keeps my OC'd CPU under 50C under full load of prime. Anything above 70C is garbage.
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

sbohdan wrote:86C under load? All these air coolers are garbage as far as I'm concerned. My WC setup keeps my OC'd CPU under 50C under full load of prime. Anything above 70C is garbage.
What processor and water cooler are you running these days? Under 50C during Prime95 is pretty tough these days on 14nm chips!
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
SeanSinha
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by SeanSinha »

sbohdan wrote:86C under load? All these air coolers are garbage as far as I'm concerned. My WC setup keeps my OC'd CPU under 50C under full load of prime. Anything above 70C is garbage.
We are testing using an I7 4790K Devil's Canyon CPU

The versions of Prime 95 (v28.5 or later) that I test with use AVX2 instructions and this simply hammers the CPU and is known to cause the Haswell's to hit 100C+ under even stock conditions. Even people with high end watercooling aren't going to get under 50C with an I7 4790K at 1.270v. AVX2 instructions are known to cause processors to bump voltage, as well. Earlier Prime 95 versions that don't leverage AVX2 will run 10-20C cooler.

If you're getting 50C with version 28.5 of Prime with an overclocked Haswell/Ivy/Sandy I7 CPU, PLEASE send me your WC specs, as that is simply incredible.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

I'm VERY interested as well.

Most runs I have seen with 4790k's at 4.7 are routinely hitting 95*C with 30+ minute runs with current versions Prime. some are going as far as pulling the heatspreader off to get every degree they can.

current version of Prime is insanely hard on a CPU.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson