Limited Edition 750GB Crucial MX300 SSD Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Limited Edition 750GB Crucial MX300 SSD Review

Post by Apoptosis »

Crucial announced a new ‘limited edition’ SSD today that the company believes well help show off their brand new Micron 3D TLC NAND Flash memory technology. Yes, Micron is the latest semiconductor manufacturer to move from planar 2D TLC NAND to 3D TLC NAND! Micron says that the move to 3D NAND improves performance and prolongs endurance. By moving to 3D TLC NAND it means that they will have to change controllers to support the move to and went with the Marvell 88SS1074 controller with Crucial custom firmware on the new Crucial MX300 SSD series.

Article Title: Limited Edition 750GB Crucial MX300 SSD Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/limited-edi ... iew_182310
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
KnightRid

Re: Limited Edition 750GB Crucial MX300 SSD Review

Post by KnightRid »

My MX100 512mb is still running great. Seems my intermittent loss problem was due to a power cable as it has worked fine since I changed it!

Would be nice to have 5 20TB SSD drives for my NAS.......Now THAT would be limited edition at that price point :mrgreen:
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Apoptosis wrote:
KnightRid wrote:My MX100 512mb is still running great. Seems my intermittent loss problem was due to a power cable as it has worked fine since I changed it!

Would be nice to have 5 20TB SSD drives for my NAS.......Now THAT would be limited edition at that price point :mrgreen:
Yeah, the MX100 series was a solid for sure. The MX100 and BX200 series weren't really a home run and I would call the BX200 one of the worst TLC drives on the market in all honesty. The Crucial MX300 looks pretty good. I noticed some sites gave it negative reviews for example Toms Hardware didn't talk about hangs in the benchmark section, but the cons of the drive were:
"The MX300 suffers from high latency and heavy disk usage to complete elementary tasks. The 5 seconds of system hang time would be impressive in a slam dunk contest. I didn't want to build that Excel chart now, anyhow."
The problem that I am seeing with SSD reviews is that many people are now starting to think of SSDs as commodities. The performance may differ slightly, but the performance is essentially uniform across all brands at any given price point. The good news is there are still pretty significant differences between TLC drives from different brands, but I can see it headed in that direction. Hard to believe that the MSRP on a 'mainstream' SSD here in mid-2016 is just $0.27 per GB. Ultra-Value drives like the OCZ Trion 150 960GB SSD are priced at $199.99, so that is just $0.21 per GB. The ADATA Premier SP550 960GB drive is $194.99 or $0.20 per GB. Killer prices and those aren't with rebates.
Follow Me on Twitter!
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

I can see the prices falling far enough to really replace traditional hard drives within 5 years, max.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I agree as entry level 960GB/1TB SSDs should be below $99 by 2021 I would think as the high-end drives should be entering double digit capacities by the end of 2021. That should basically kill all hard drive sales unless people need a ton of storage space or are looking for something super low cost. A 1TB hard drive can be had for below $49.99, so they are still cheap form of storage for most folks. The only place I use hard drives these days is in my NAS!
Follow Me on Twitter!