DDR4 Memory Scaling on AMD AM4 Platforms For Ryzen @ Legit Reviews

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

DDR4 Memory Scaling on AMD AM4 Platforms For Ryzen @ Legit Reviews

Post by Apoptosis »

AMD Ryzen processors are here and the number of people buying AMD platforms has spiked as a result. Those that are running out to buy Ryzen 7 series processor will need to also purchase the new AMD AM4 platforms using the B350 or X370 chipset with possibly a dual-channel DDR4 memory kit. Picking out the right memory kit is pretty important, so we are going to look at memory performance on the MSI X370 XPower Gaming Titanium motherboard with an AMD Ryzen 7 1700 8-core processor to see what happens...

Article Title: DDR4 Memory Scaling on AMD AM4 Platforms For Ryzen @ Legit Reviews
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/ddr4-memory ... pus_192259
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
meticulousmatty
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Re: DDR4 Memory Scaling on AMD AM4 Platforms For Ryzen @ Legit Reviews

Post by meticulousmatty »

Cheers Apoptosis for a balanced look at the memory performance.

I unfortunately purchased my DDR4 ram prior to the release of Ryzen and relevant benchmarks. Turned out they were Hynix modules. ](*,)

The Corsair LED 64GB (4x16GB) 3000MHz CL15 kit runs at 2133MHz at CL15 on the X370 board and I understand regarding the 2133MHz limitation with dual channel 4-dimm configuration pending further UEFI updates.

From my testing thus far, I get no POST with 2x16GB and 4x16GB configuration at any frequencies above 2133MHz.

That being said however, would it be advisable to tighten the CL timings given that the frequency is limited? If so, what methodology would you recommend?

Getting my head around the process, but appreciate any assistance. Thanks