The Best GPU For Ethereum Mining – NVIDIA and AMD Tested

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Best GPU For Ethereum Mining – NVIDIA and AMD Tested

Post by Apoptosis »

We’ve never done an article on GPU mining on Legit Reviews before, but continued interest in the ethereum project has caused Ether (the name of the cryptocurrency that runs on the ethereum blockchain app) to skyrocket in price by more than 2,800% this year alone. On Sunday, ethereum traded at an all-time high of $250.41, according to data from industry website CoinDesk. With increases and coin prices like that it has spiked the demand for discrete graphics cards in order to do GPU mining. Ethereum discourages the use of custom ASICs and FPGAs when it comes to mining, so this is something you could do if you wanted to on a PC with a powerful discrete graphics card. We test over a dozen graphics card to see which has the best hashrate and talk about some of the other things you need to consider like price and power consumption.

Article Title: The Best GPU For Ethereum Mining – NVIDIA and AMD Tested @ Legit Reviews
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/best-gpu-et ... ted_195229
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
KnightRid

Re: The Best GPU For Ethereum Mining – NVIDIA and AMD Tested

Post by KnightRid »

So at $13,000 a year with 7 gpus then subtract what everything cost up front (case, cards, etc) and you are left with about $1.34 LOL

Exaggerating a little bit but unless you have stuff laying around to use, it seems like a huge gamble to spend this much money (and if you have that much money laying around, what do you need to do this for anyway?) for a small return. No, $13,000 is not small but after taxes (yes, legally you should be paying taxes from what I have red - https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/commen ... rs_to_the/ - for example) you will be around $10,000. So minus the $2500(ish) of your initial investment and your profit drops to $7500. Still it is not an amount to sneeze at but there are a lot of ifs/maybes/hopefullys involved so i like how you said
(Please keep in mind the price of etherum could always drop to zero or skyrocket, so think long and hard before you buy hardware to do this.)
. PSSSSTTTTTTTT - ethereum is spelled wrong btw :mrgreen:

I would give it a try if I have the money just laying around, I mean, why not, but I don't have that kind of cash (sure I could charge it but then you have to look at your interest rates, etc) just hanging around.

Are you going to let this run? Would be great to see how everything goes with running it 24/7/365! If there are no break downs or problems then the value skyrockets. Plus to get an exact amount of money made. Even if you are not allowed to keep the money (donated cards, loaners, whatever would prohibit it) you could always donate it to charity.

Are video cards covered under warranty for continuous 24/7 use? Hmmm...never thought about that. bet they will put an exclusion in the warranty if there isn't one already, if they see a lot of warranty repairs.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I've been running 24/7 on multiple systems since May with no issues so far! I'll let you know how it goes!

My question now is do I sell/trade/hold the 'coins' that I've already mined and gotten. Was around $210 when I started and hit over $415 last weekend. Now it's down to $350, but still up from when I started. Do the math again with the new Ether values and it looks even better. You'll like this read - http://www.legitreviews.com/geforce-gtx ... wer_195451

I suggest trying it out... Even if you bought a GeForce GTX 1070 for $400... If you mine for roughly 2 months you'll get that much back. Stop then and you got a 'free' GTX 1070. Maybe you won't make thousands a year, but I see this lasting a bit longer and you can benefit from it!
Follow Me on Twitter!
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

Would be nice to have a tutorial on how to setup Ethereum mining, like what to download from where, where to register, how to get paid etc.
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

sbohdan wrote:Would be nice to have a tutorial on how to setup Ethereum mining, like what to download from where, where to register, how to get paid etc.
Want to help write one? I can help direct you if you need help and can pay for your time.
Follow Me on Twitter!
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

I'm totaly clueless about this LOL. I looked at some videos on youtube but non of them explain what I wanted to know.
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=