AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X and Threadripper 1920X Processor Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X and Threadripper 1920X Processor Review

Post by Apoptosis »

Today we’ll be looking at the AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-core and AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X 12-core processors. These processors are the the tip of the spear for AMD and are aimed at the high-end desktop market. This completes the AMD Ryzen processor lineup for the desktop and more importantly marks AMD’s move back into the high-end desktop market after having to abandon it years ago...

Article Title: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X and Threadripper 1920X Processor Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-ryzen-t ... iew_196879
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X and Threadripper 1920X Processor Review

Post by sbohdan »

$1700 and $2000 for the i9? I hope their sales just go down the drain! These greedy bastards are the responsible for top CPU prices going over $1000 in the first place! It looks like the $290 Ryzen 1700 is the best price/performance winner anyway! Good job AMD!
Great, very well written review Nate! :supz:
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Wow, for video editing it looks to me that AMD is the winner. Will have to wait to see if Intel does anything with pricing (LOL I know, I know, like that will happen) to try and stay competitive in the higher end or if they will just let the dice roll and wait for the next iteration of the core i processors.

$1000 for a high end cpu is not too bad. I think they should have a lot better performance than a $290 cpu and it does seen, for content creation, they do. Depressing about the gaming scores...

Biggest concern I have is the power requirements. Wow it sucks down some power. I want a quad cpu board with 4 of these in it with water cooling and quad gtx 1080 gpus :mrgreen: Would need about 3000 watt power supply? LOL Have to have overhead (figure 300watts each cpu/gpu would be 2400 watts but need a hard drive, memory, usb power, etc.) so it might even need more than 3000!

Build one Nate. I want to see live video of your power meter and your neighborhood power grid pulsing under the pressure. Also register the heat level in your room and use only the stock coolers for a day of full on video rendering and then measure the temp again. My lord I wish I had money cause I would build one of these puppies just because I want to :supz:
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Build one Nate. I want to see live video of your power meter and your neighborhood power grid pulsing under the pressure. Also register the heat level in your room and use only the stock coolers for a day of full on video rendering and then measure the temp again.
I built up 5 systems to mine ethereum with over 25 video cards in them. Got roughly 600 MH/s of performance out of them and have been running them 24/7. Started out with them in my basement, but it went from 60-65F in the summer to over 90F. The problem is that the AC unit is in the basement, so to cool the air for the rest of the house the AC was running 24/7. I ended up breaking the start capacitor in my AC it was kicking on and off so much.

After that I bought shelving units and moved everything into the garage. A few weeks back in Missouri we had ten days of 100+ heat. Well inside the garage the temperature was between 115-130F with everything running 24/7. I'd leave the windows open, but mice ended up getting in as there was a small hole in the screen. 8 mice traps and 3 dead mice later I got that under control. My electric bills have been in the $600 to $700 a month range. This is higher than predicted by http://www.mycryptobuddy.com/ but that calculator doesn't take into account running your home AC more. Right now my electric runs $0.12 per KWH, but in October is drops to $0.06 per KWH (winter rates). Tempted to quit, but come October 1st mining isn't looking to be too profitable. No hardware has broke in over 2 months of running them 24/7 in temps of over 100F and humidity reaching 100% for days on end. Actually had the factory thermal paste fail that comes pre-applied on Intel heatsinks. I guess that much heat caused it to break down, but was a quick fix with PK-3.

I have a video of my spinning electric meter that I sent my brother on Facebook. I'll have to see if I can find it. It was going fast and never slowed down.
electric-bill.jpg
electric-bill.jpg (68.79 KiB) Viewed 6966 times
Follow Me on Twitter!
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

It seems now you could just sell your mining rigs, get one Threadripper unit, swap in 4 VEGA's and have about the same amount of mining units done. I read VEGA can do 100MH/s+/card. You could save a lot of power and heat this way. :rolleyes:
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

WOW - are you mining enough to make anything at all or are you losing money to the electric company?

Solar power?
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

sbohdan wrote:It seems now you could just sell your mining rigs, get one Threadripper unit, swap in 4 VEGA's and have about the same amount of mining units done. I read VEGA can do 100MH/s+/card. You could save a lot of power and heat this way. :rolleyes:
You want the lowest TDP processor available, so no TR for mining. As for VEGA and mining... My most recent article showed you can make more money with other cards due to the high power draw. Maybe AMD sand bagged the drivers or can boost it later with optimizations. Who knows!
KnightRid wrote:WOW - are you mining enough to make anything at all or are you losing money to the electric company?

Solar power?
Yes, it is certainly profitable as I wouldn't be doing it for months if it wasn't. I looked into solar power, but 3000W just from the systems is a rather large and complex panel system. If I was doling solar I'd want it for the home too and that would be a big panel setup. From google:
A typical 2,000 square foot home would be allowed a solar array of 4,000 watts. Depending on the type of panel that you choose, a system of this size would be anywhere from 12-18 solar panels.

So, I'd likely need say 14 panels for my home as it's smaller than that and another 12-14 for the mining rigs... That gets expensive and think of the batteries you'd need for night...
Follow Me on Twitter!