Ethereum Mining After The Byzantium Hard Fork Have Profits Up

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ethereum Mining After The Byzantium Hard Fork Have Profits Up

Post by Apoptosis »

The Ethereum network began a planned hard fork at block number 4,370,000 yesterday and it appears that the Byzantium hard fork has been a smooth transition so far (check the status). Miners are having some fun as they are seeing that some blocks are being mined in as little as 1 second...

Article Title: Ethereum Mining After The Byzantium Hard Fork Have Profits Up
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/ethereum-mi ... its_198975
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
KnightRid

Re: Ethereum Mining After The Byzantium Hard Fork Have Profits Up

Post by KnightRid »

I keep looking at doing this but it still seems like a long run having to wait 6 months (at least) to recoup the investment on the video card. We don't get winter rates here on electric (South Central, Pennsylvania) dammit.

Would be fun to make some extra cash!

If you run 2 cards in SLI does it increase by 2x? Do you need to run a separate client for each card - I remember doing this for the SETI project where you ran a different client for each core by setting affinity. Does the CPU matter at all? i need to re-read your articles as you may have answered these lol
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ethereum Mining After The Byzantium Hard Fork Have Profits Up

Post by Apoptosis »

You can run up to 8 cards per Windows system. They run individually and one mining app instance is all you need. Some mining farm images (not mine)

Tips on how to mine after your system is built pulled from this Reddit Post.

1) Start with only one GPU plugged into the first PCIe Slot (the one closest to the CPU), using a riser

2) Update Windows

3) Update Graphics drivers. Ignore the PCI Simple Communication Controller. If you have RX 570's or 580's the driver update is a bit more complex, check out this video

4) Allocate memory

System > Advanced Settings
Advanced tab > Performance > Settings
Advanced tab> click Change in the Virtual Memory part
Uncheck "Automatically Mange Paging file size for all drives"
Custom Size
Enter “16384” (without the quotes) in both the Initial and Maximum size fields, then click “Set”.

5) Disable unnecessary Windows visual effects

System > Advanced Settings
Advanced tab > Performance > Settings
On the “Visual Effects” tab (which should be open by default), click on the radio button labeled “Adjust for best performance”, then click “Apply”

6) Restart and Boot into BIOS (hitting the DEL key after you restart). Time to Update (Flash) your BIOS. Some boards are easier than others. Google your specific board.

7) Restart and Boot into BIOS (hitting the DEL key after you restart). Here is were the fun will begin, don't be afraid to screw around with the BIOS you can always hit the panic button and reset to factory defaults. Keep calm and Carry on.

each mother board will be different, so I recommend searching what others have done to get your specific board to work. Most settings will be under the advanced tab.

set 4G DECODE to ENABLE. This is probably the most important setting.
set PCie to GEN1. You might have to try GEN2 as well.
Disable Internal Graphics, this one can be tricky to find sometimes but you want to set your Graphics to PEG. When you are done with BIOS mods you will need plug your HDMI cable into the first HDMI slot on your first GPU.

Find as many of these as you can

Disable Audio control
Disable any SATA Controllers you are not using
Disable USB 3.0
Disable Fast Boot
Disable Firewire
Disable Serial Port
Save and Exit

8 ) Power off and connect all your graphics cards. Make sure to have a maximum of two Risers connected to a PSU cable, one if you can.

9) Boot up and start your miner

10) if you are still having trouble, search online to see what others have done to get 6 GPUs to work with your hardware. If you have other notes to add specific to your build please share.

11) there are lots of other optimizations to do, but my goal is to get it mining first then optimize later. Took these instructions from cryptobadger

Change power options so that the computer automatically turns itself on whenever power is restored. The reason for this is two-fold: first, it’ll make sure that your miner automatically starts up after a power outage. Second, it makes powering the computer on much easier if you don’t happen to have a power switch connected to the motherboard.

Auto Login *Right-click on the Start Menu and select “Run”. Type “netplwiz” (without the quotes) at the prompt, and click “ok”.
Uncheck the box that says “Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer”.
Click “Apply”. You’ll be prompted to enter your password to confirm the change.

We want our rig to automatically start mining whenever it’s powered on or rebooted. That way, we keep mining losses to a minimum whenever a power outage occurs, and we don’t have to worry about manually starting it back up in other situations.

Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the folder where you created “mine.bat” in the previous step. Right-click on your mine.bat file, and pick “Copy”. Now, navigate to %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup (should be something like C:\Users[YOUR WINDOWS USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup). Right-click anywhere on the empty background of the Startup folder and select “Paste shortcut”. You should see a shortcut to your mine.bat file appear in the startup folder. Windows should automatically execute it upon bootup.

overclocking. My recommendation is to check out Bits Be Tripping for your specific card
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!