Corsair Obsidian 500D Premium Mid-Tower Case Review

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Corsair Obsidian 500D Premium Mid-Tower Case Review

Post by Apoptosis »

Last year, Corsair gave us a sneak peak at their latest Obsidian case, the Obsidian 500D; originally slated to be released in October, was delayed as they wanted to perfect it. Recently, at CES 2018, they showed off two versions of the 500D. One with a Tempered Glass front panel, and one with a brushed aluminum panel. They sent us an early engineering sample to take a close look at the newly designed Premium Mid-Tower Obsidian 500D. The Obsidian 500D features dual Tempered Glass side panels that swing open, brushed aluminum front and top panels, vertical graphics card compatibility and other features. Corsair is finally lifting the embargo and launching the Obsidian 500D today, February 22nd, 2018 for $149.99 shipped. This is the first new Obsidian series card in four years!

Article Title: Corsair Obsidian 500D Premium Mid-Tower Case Review
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/corsair-obs ... iew_201851
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Corsair Obsidian 500D Premium Mid-Tower Case Review

Post by camaroguy1998 »

I copied and pasted this from the last Corsair Case Review....
I Love my Corsair 600T! I wish they would do an updated 600T with Tempered Glass Panels!
I do not want this to come off as negativity against the 500D,
It is a.....
Nice case, but no 5.25 drive bays?
I use my PC's for everything so a DVD/BD optical drive is a must!
Sad to see them go the way of the Dinosaur. :(

I'd like to see a tempered glass case with 2x 5.25 bays!
Hide them just like they hide PSU's!

Hint hint... Corsair and every other PC case manufacturer! [-o<
ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
AMD 3400G - 32G GSkill RipJaw V - {Win10} Pro 64bit, Win11 Update
Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT 240mm AIO Cooler
Corsair RM750X PSU - Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB SSD
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor - Lepai 2x20W Amp - Dayton B652 Spkrs

Corsair 4000D Airflow
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

camaroguy1998 wrote:I copied and pasted this from the last Corsair Case Review....
I Love my Corsair 600T! I wish they would do an updated 600T with Tempered Glass Panels!
I do not want this to come off as negativity against the 500D,
It is a.....
Nice case, but no 5.25 drive bays?
I use my PC's for everything so a DVD/BD optical drive is a must!
Sad to see them go the way of the Dinosaur. :(

I'd like to see a tempered glass case with 2x 5.25 bays!
Hide them just like they hide PSU's!

Hint hint... Corsair and every other PC case manufacturer! [-o<
I use external USB now for ripping movies :(
Follow Me on Twitter!
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

Apoptosis wrote:
You say this with a Sad Face, why is that?
Is ripping and storage a bad thing(to you) or a good thing?

Corsair 4000D Airflow
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

camaroguy1998 wrote:
Apoptosis wrote:
You say this with a Sad Face, why is that?
Is ripping and storage a bad thing(to you) or a good thing?
I think he said it because more and more cases are not including the bays so you have to use external. Like laptops. I have my old Dell 1645 that I got with a bluray drive. I cant find hardly any laptops that have bluray anymore so if it goes belly up I would need to get an external one. Companies are stupid. Streaming is not as good as a physical disc, it is just easy.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

KnightRid wrote:I think he said it because more and more cases are not including the bays so you have to use external. Like laptops. I have my old Dell 1645 that I got with a bluray drive. I cant find hardly any laptops that have bluray anymore so if it goes belly up I would need to get an external one. Companies are stupid. Streaming is not as good as a physical disc, it is just easy.
I'm agreeing with you like KnightRid said. I enjoy backing up movies and being able to play them on other devices that I own. You can also backup UHD discs now, so that is mighty nice. You just need a UHD 'friendly' drive as official UHD drives don't work.
Follow Me on Twitter!
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

Apoptosis wrote:
KnightRid wrote:I think he said it because more and more cases are not including the bays so you have to use external. Like laptops. I have my old Dell 1645 that I got with a bluray drive. I cant find hardly any laptops that have bluray anymore so if it goes belly up I would need to get an external one. Companies are stupid. Streaming is not as good as a physical disc, it is just easy.
I'm agreeing with you like KnightRid said. I enjoy backing up movies and being able to play them on other devices that I own. You can also backup UHD discs now, so that is mighty nice. You just need a UHD 'friendly' drive as official UHD drives don't work.
:) Ok! I wasnt exactly sure where you were on ripping/backup from USB or any other media!
I went all in years ago on DVDs and somewhat on BDs! I'm old school, I want to see that cover art! :)
I have 4 PCs setup throughout the house along with a tablet and laptop. I'm not much on the tablet, but I like to be able to grab a disc and watch it wherever I want!
For a couple reasons I never did join the ripping/media server trend. Still not sure if that was a wise choice or not!
With that said my DVD collection probably will never make it to a server. I've been picking them up since the late '90s and
It would take way too much time to rip them all! :lol:

I guess I'm a DVD Lifer!

To get back to the original post, I enjoyed your review!
Keep 'em coming!

Corsair 4000D Airflow
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

camaroguy1998 wrote:
Apoptosis wrote:
:) Ok! I wasnt exactly sure where you were on ripping/backup from USB or any other media!
I went all in years ago on DVDs and somewhat on BDs! I'm old school, I want to see that cover art! :)
I have 4 PCs setup throughout the house along with a tablet and laptop. I'm not much on the tablet, but I like to be able to grab a disc and watch it wherever I want!
For a couple reasons I never did join the ripping/media server trend. Still not sure if that was a wise choice or not!
With that said my DVD collection probably will never make it to a server. I've been picking them up since the late '90s and
It would take way too much time to rip them all! :lol:

I guess I'm a DVD Lifer!

To get back to the original post, I enjoyed your review!
Keep 'em coming!
I am like you, I have around 800 dvd/bluray sets in my collection that I bought a Synology 1512+ years ago to rip everything to. I had to upgrade to 8TB drives so I would not have to compress anything. Those tv show sets like MASH have a lot of discs with them ;) I am still working on mine as it is a bit tedious and time consuming. MakeMKV is a great program to rip them to a mkv container at no compression and you can just take the movie itself. Worth it to rip just so I can have access to everything as long as a computer/PS3/PS4/ETC is on the network.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga: