AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Processor Review – 2nd Gen Ryzen

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Processor Review – 2nd Gen Ryzen

Post by Apoptosis »

AMD launched four new Ryzen desktop processors this week, codenamed ‘Pinnacle Ridge’, that are built using the latest 12nm Zen+ architecture. The new processors are the Ryzen 7 2700X, Ryzen 7 2700, Ryzen 5 2600X and Ryzen 5 2600. AMD tweaked a number of things on its new Zen+ architecture and claims they were able to get up to a 15% performance boost in common tasks like gaming over a 1st Gen Ryszen processor...

Article Title: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Processor Review – 2nd Gen Ryzen
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-ryzen-7 ... zen_204732
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
KnightRid

Re: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Processor Review – 2nd Gen Ryzen

Post by KnightRid »

nice rgb cooler but the numbers still fall short of the i7 :( Sure the i7 is about $20 more but I just keep hoping AMD will hit one out of the ballpark again and give Intel a good run for their money.

Heck, put a high end video solution on chip that will run a game like far cry at 1080p 60fps!!! now THAT would be something. Fun game so far but I have it on the PS4 cause my computer is WAY out of date.

Maybe I am looking for too much but it just doesn't excite me seeing these numbers.

Wonder if you could run dual or quad chips - I remember doing that with old 486 chips in a dual socket MB. That would be interesting to see how the computing would scale across multiple chips in the same system. THEN that $20 savings could add up!
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

The technology is there to do it if they wanted, but then how would the sell Epyc processors!

Zen 2 will support more cores, so we will see Ryzen 3000 processors with more than 8-cores, 16-threads coming out relatively soon.

Also, I expect that there might be a Ryzen 7 2800X processor sitting in the warehouse waiting for Intel to release 8-core Coffee Lake processors (Think Intel Z390 boards with Core i9 K-series processors with 8-cores).
Follow Me on Twitter!
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

50 cores and 200 processes.

Get to it AMD, I will wait till next Friday.

:mrgreen:
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Have you heard about TSMC and how they are 3D Stacking stuff now?

https://community.cadence.com/cadence_b ... laceholder
Follow Me on Twitter!
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Apoptosis wrote:Have you heard about TSMC and how they are 3D Stacking stuff now?

https://community.cadence.com/cadence_b ... laceholder
That is pretty cool! I never heard about this. I wonder how the temps are. Stacking multiple chips seems like you would need a cooling solution for top and sides. Couldn't cool in between layers unless they included some sort of water pipe technology in the bonding layer so water could flow between the chips themselves.

AMD - it is Tuesday already - Friday is coming up fast!! chop chop!
Cooe
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Cooe »

Apoptosis wrote:AMD launched four new Ryzen desktop processors this week, codenamed ‘Pinnacle Ridge’, that are built using the latest 12nm Zen+ architecture. The new processors are the Ryzen 7 2700X, Ryzen 7 2700, Ryzen 5 2600X and Ryzen 5 2600. AMD tweaked a number of things on its new Zen+ architecture and claims they were able to get up to a 15% performance boost in common tasks like gaming over a 1st Gen Ryszen processor...

Article Title: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Processor Review – 2nd Gen Ryzen
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-ryzen-7 ... zen_204732
Just wanted to let you guys know that the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan has officially been made antiquated by AMD & Microsoft (the Ryzen specific power plan alterations it made have long since been integrated into the Windows default power plans), and using either it, OR the default/unchanged High Performance Power Plan will HURT the perfomance of Ryzen 2nd Gen by kneecapping Precision Boost 2 & XFR2 by preventing cores from ever down-clocking past 80% of the base clock-speed in Ryzen Balanced's case (≈3GHz for the 2700X), and 100%/3.7GHz for the standard High Performance plan. Both of which needlessly waste significant amounts of PB2's & XFR2's power & thermal budgets, leading to noticeably lower maximum boost-clocks for less than all-core loads, and ESPECIALLY single-core clocks/perfomance.

The reason this happens is that Ryzen Balanced Power Plan sets the "Minimum Processor Perfomance" advanced power plan setting to a whopping "80%" (originally done to prevent Win 10's over-zealous core parking before being updated for Ryzen), while High Performance is set to the full "100%". This is why AMD has officially said the former should no longer be used at all, and especially with 2nd Gen; with the Win 10 standard "Balanced" plan and it's "5%" minimum clock-speed setting now the official recommendation as it allows inactive cores to be downclocked to just ≈550MHz or so, and thus freeing up further power & thermal headroom for those that are active. (That being said, High Performance as well as Ryzen Balanced can still be used if that "Minimum Processor State" setting is manually set to it's lowest "5%" value. Though seeing how that makes the latter identical to the standard "Balanced" plan, it's use is still very much pointless; unlike for the former, which can still make sense in certain scenario's assuming that's setting is correctly changed to "5%" first).

Lol and I'm not telling you this because I'm mearly a cruel SOB who relishes making reviewers redo all their test data, but just to tell you that countless others, including myself (upgraded from a launch 1700 to 2700X), and ofc AMD, have found that using the old Ryzen Balanced Power Plan (or High Performance w/o changes) has noticeably negative effects on lightly threaded clock-speeds & thus perfomance, which ofc effects games (esp. older DX11 ones) in particular.

See here for specific results on just how huge this negative perfomance impact can be in games from using the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan. It's a LOT! -
https://techbuyersguru.com/amds-second- ... wed?page=3