Intel Optane Memory Tested With Secondary Hard Drive

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Intel Optane Memory Tested With Secondary Hard Drive

Post by Apoptosis »

Intel Optane Memory has been around for more than a year, but when it was launched in Q1 2017 it could only be used to accelerate one Windows 10 SATA boot drive and only one module is supported per system. Many in the PC community wanted to accelerate hard disk drives that weren’t the boot drive and let Intel know that if Optane could be used to cache mechanical hard drives that they would sell more Optane Memory sticks. The chip giant has listened to customer feedback and is allowing Optane software to cache data from any single SATA hard drive in a system, regardless of it being a primary/boot or secondary volume! Read on to see how Intel Optane Memory can improve performance for a spinning disk!

Article Title: Intel Optane Memory Tested With Secondary Hard Drive @ Legit Reviews
Article URL: http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-optan ... ive_205254
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
KnightRid

Re: Intel Optane Memory Tested With Secondary Hard Drive

Post by KnightRid »

Again pricing is just so weird as you can buy a regular SSD for cheaper than you can the 64GB module.

I could see the 16gb and MAYBE the 32GB ()even though you can get a lower end/lower capacity SSD for around the same price on sale) but after that it seems almost foolish.

Ok had a thought.....maybe if you have a huge standard drive as a secondary that you want to speed up for installing your games/files/whatever on, then maybe this would be worthwhile compared to buying a ssd due to the space. I get it now.

now if you could have multiple optane memory cards in a computer and use them each for different drives.....
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Intel Optane Memory Tested With Secondary Hard Drive

Post by Apoptosis »

KnightRid wrote:Again pricing is just so weird as you can buy a regular SSD for cheaper than you can the 64GB module.

I could see the 16gb and MAYBE the 32GB ()even though you can get a lower end/lower capacity SSD for around the same price on sale) but after that it seems almost foolish.

Ok had a thought.....maybe if you have a huge standard drive as a secondary that you want to speed up for installing your games/files/whatever on, then maybe this would be worthwhile compared to buying a ssd due to the space. I get it now.

now if you could have multiple optane memory cards in a computer and use them each for different drives.....
Intel flat out says most people need 16GB and I think for $24.99 it makes for a heck of an upgrade. I wouldn't suggest spending $150 on the 64GB module. You can buy 512GB NVMe SSDs like the MyDigitalSSD SBX 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe drive for under $149, so this is really ideal for those that have a 1+ HDD in the system and they are looking for better performance.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!