Is DDR2 Ready To Replace DDR1?

A place to give your thoughts on our reviews!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Is DDR2 Ready To Replace DDR1?

Post by Apoptosis »

Review Link
All said and done we learned a lot from benchmarking for this article. First off we found that it was possible for DDR2 PC2-4200 4-4-4 memory to hit low latencies of 3-3-2 (3-2-2 is the lowest possible). Secondly we found out that memory rated for DDR533 by almost all brands overclocks VERY well. A prime example of this was our ability to get an extra 200MHz out of our DDR533 Crucial memory. When DDR1 memory first hit the market you didn't see people overclocking memory 200MHz from the get go! So in terms of being a new product it looks as if DDR2 memory will scale nicely and quickly in the following months.

Let us know your thoughts on DDR2 and the performance we are seeing from them. Is this what you were expecting to see from DDR2?
Sublime
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Sublime »

DDR2 is still below my expectations in terms of performance. On the flip side I am happy seeing that you guys are getting a solid 200MHz overclock out of DDR533 modules. These seem to be nice overclockers and now that ABIT and others have gotten around the Intel chipset overclocking lock we should be seeing better results.

Now go find some DDR2 that can run 800MHz!!!
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Its getting there. we still dont know the top end of some of the fastest chips out there. With nate getting 733 out of some of the modules i would think that we could start seeing 800mhz ddr2 in the next major revision.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Agreed... I just got in Corsair's new DDR667 modules and they are said to use the same Micron IC's that Crucial is using on their PC2-4200 modules.

I'm also working on a DDR2 round-up. So far I have DDR533 from Corsair, Crucial & Kingston... working on getting some more brands. Any you guys want me to get other than the 3 listed?
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

I'm always curious to see where OCZ fits in the lineup.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
Speed_Mechanic
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Speed_Mechanic »

Try to get brands using differant IC's and not only Micron. Kingston Value-RAM uses Elpida, cheaper memory may also use Samsung chips.

OCZ is offering their Enhanced-Bandwidth line for DDR2 with optimized timings besides those which are normally adjusted.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

update: Spoken with TwinMOS, Buffalo, and OCZ to get some DDR2-533 modules.. we will see how things turn out.