connect iPod to car stereo

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

connect iPod to car stereo

Post by Darkstar »

Anyone connect an iPod or iPhone to the car stereo system before? Whats the best (and least expensive) way to do it. My wife wants her iPod connected in her car (2007 Honda). I havent really messed with them but looking online im seeing all kinds of different "solutions"

thanks, :drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: connect iPod to car stereo

Post by dicecca112 »

Does she have an AUX Jack in the car? If not there are FM Connectors that transmit to the radio.
skier

Post by skier »

if you have a tape deck you can pick up a tape-aux for around $10 and at walmart you can get an fm transmitter for $11, i prefer to use the tape deck when it works because the transmitter requires batteries and you have to remember to shut it off or it will eat batteries multiple times per week-takes two AAA also the tape provides better audio and sometimes the transmitter gets interference and has static like the radio

(i use the transmitter instead of the tape because sometimes my head unit decides the tapedeck won't work, and has some 'fits' which i can't even describe.)

but you can get 140W receivers that have aux-in as low as $60 new at parts express
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sparky »

We've tried the FM radio frequency adapters and there was just too much noise and poor sound quality.

We used this in my wife's Nissan Murano: http://usaspec.com/
It's just OK. Works with the controls in the factory radio, but hard to use IMO.

I swapped out the head unit for Alpine's w/iPod specific controllers in both my cars, works far better than the aftermarket add on my wife has.

To me this was one of those times when you get what you paid for.
MSI Meg X570 Unify | Ryzen 3900X | Noctuna NH-U12A | G.Skill RipJaws DDR4 3600 16GB | Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe | (2) WD Blue 3TB Backups | MSI 2060 Super Gaming X | Meshify - C | SB X-Fi
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I have an old Pioneer headunit (4 or 5 years old) and purchased their iPod controller (2 years ago). If I were to buy a newer Pioneer headunit then I could control the iPod via the audio knob. Right now I have to hit 5 different buttons to pick either the artist, album, genre, or playlist. So suffice it to say I have the iPod set to shuffle and if I'm not digging the song I skip to the next one.
Pioneer iPod Adapter:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... CD-IB100II

With all that being said I used to travel all the time and took an iPod with me and a trusty 3.5MM stereo jack. There were some inherent problems with this setup but it is the best/cheapest way to add iPod connectivity. The upside is your car speakers tun into the iPods headphones. The downside is the sound (in my experience) is only as good as the 3.5MM cable. You can buy a cheap headunit with an auxiliary input from Best Buy they usually have free installation. Or if you are more comfortable you can buy a headunit, radio adapter kit (if necessary), wiring harness and do it yourself.
Cheap Pioneer stereo with output jack.
http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DEH-1300M ... B003ZDO2LM

The last option I've used is the iPod to FM transmitter. This is the worst option and the sound is bad. Even when you dial in the adapter and radio station it sounds like the music is broadcast from a tin can.
shamrok3
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by shamrok3 »

Major_A wrote: The last option I've used is the iPod to FM transmitter. This is the worst option and the sound is bad. Even when you dial in the adapter and radio station it sounds like the music is broadcast from a tin can.
Really? I've been using an FM receiver for a while now and sound quality is fine. It drops out if not connected (to power), but generally brilliant so long as it's on an empty frequency...
Multiple Exclamation marks - The first sign of an unsound mind.

Rig: Intel 3930K, Noctua U12P-SE2 , ASUS P9X79, 16GB RAM, 60GB OCZ Vertex 3, 2x3TB Seagate (RAID 0), 1TB Samsung F3, EVGA GTX760, CM 650 Watt PSU
NZXT HU002 Case, LG Blu-Ray Writer/Combo
21.5" BenQ E2200HD @ 1920x1080, Razer Lachesis/Lycosa/Sennheiser HD558, Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
review8
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by review8 »

The AUX jack is the best way to connect to the stereo. They do make an adapter that you can hook up through the radio, I have had this. However, it doesn't always hold the station and will skip around, which is annoying. I would look into the AUX jack.
Mix one set of Bluetooth stereo headphones, an iPhone and the TV Hat and you have my dream on the go entertainment system.