Proxy server that is unknown to google?

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
Tim Burton
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Proxy server that is unknown to google?

Post by Tim Burton »

Does anyone have a proxy server that google does not know about. Seems all of the proxy servers I find in google are blocked by the school I tutor at. Sometimes I want to be able to go to Youtube to demonstrate calculus to some of the students I work with.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Proxy server that is unknown to google?

Post by bubba »

best bet would be to DL the vids off youtube with keepvid.com and take them with you on a USB key. Or talk to the IT guy to open you up for YouTube access.

Circumventing a web filter at a job never really works for the best in the end. Even then some filters are looking at the actual code coming across not just the URL. so proxy or not its eventually dragging the code for YouTube across.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

What about a portable version of FF or Chrome Bubba?
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

If you're using the LAN/WiFi in a school/company usually all runs to one spot to get to an outside pipe. That point is where the filters are put in place. Even if you get around the in place filter, if they are logging traffic (I got a dollar says they are) and they audit the log then they will see youtube in the traffic log. If its set up right, you're not getting around it.

Now if you tether to a cell phone to get net access then your outside the school/company network on your own connection. That then gets into another whole ball of wax for security and what not.

You can also see if they allow remote access (doubt it). You can try and remote back to another machine offsite, and pull the video in that route. But your going to need a fat pipe on both ends.

Also if they see a spike in bandwidth usage from your machine that will gain you some attention to.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson