Firearm Transfer Question

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Firearm Transfer Question

Post by Major_A »

My stepdad decided to give me his Remington 700 .30-06. He can't use it due to a defibrillator and it would just sit there collecting dust. My question is does he have to fill out anything or can he just give me the gun? I tried looking on BATF and Texas' sites but they were both a convoluted mess. I haven't been hunting in a few years but one of my friends has a small lease and told me that I could go with him later in the season. I want to swap the scope off my .30-06 with the one on the Remington but only if I know I won't have to jump through hoops to get the gun.
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Firearm Transfer Question

Post by XstollieX »

I know in Illinois there is paperwork that needs to be filled out between the previous owner and the new owner, but Illinois is such a F'd up state when it comes to firearms it's ridiculous. To be honest I would be surprised if Texas had anything like that. Though my suggestion would be to call the state police and ask them about it.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Far as I know most states dont require transfer papers for long guns. Pistols yes papers are needed.

In peoples republic of Illinois you need papers for anything gun related, hell you have to have a FOID card to even have one in your possession even if its not yours.

Best bet is like stollie said, call the locals or even call a local gun shop. If it does need to be done your looking at ~$20 transfer fee normally and you will have to be run through the system for the background check (5 min phone call)
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Sounds like a plan, I'll give them a call tomorrow. Start with local PD and go from there.
review8
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by review8 »

You would want to have the gun registered in your name. Just a copy of the original registration and something stating that he has given it to you, so that it doesn't appear to be stolen. Then you should be okay to carry it and get it registered in your name.
Mix one set of Bluetooth stereo headphones, an iPhone and the TV Hat and you have my dream on the go entertainment system.