Top Gear US - Pilot

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Top Gear US - Pilot

Post by Major_A »

I just finished watching it and if imitation is the best form of flattery then they are on the right track. However, I don't understand why they had to explain what they were doing every 5 minutes. "This is Top Gear and we drive cars, fast." Well thanks for that guy. The banter between hosts feels forced whereas the UK guys it seems natural. Then there's The Stig. I guess since History dropped big bucks on the rights they figured they'd keep the name. Hopefully it will get better but it can't compete with the Brits. On an up side, I've seen an episode or two of Top Gear Australia, and the US version is already better. I'll leave it on the DVR schedule and see how it plays out. But as of right now the bar isn't set too high.
FZ1

Re: Top Gear US - Pilot

Post by FZ1 »

Doh...forgot to set my DVR
Joe
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

for those of us with out DVR's finalgear.com

The first series of Top Gear UK wasn't that smooth either, nor was the first Top Gear Australia. I've never watch Fifth Gear so cant say much about that one.

Everyone compares it to the current form of TGUK, they have had close to a decade to get that way... I'm going to give TGUS at least a season, maybe two.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Joe - Don't worry you didn't miss much and History has it on re-runs all week.

I didn't like it at all and it's a complete rip off of the European show, which is stupid. I didn't enjoy it one bit and to see the opening show and most of the previews using high-end European cars I was more than pissed... I thought we'd see Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, Challenger, Charger, Cobalt SS and other 'American' cars that the other show doesn't cover. I give it two thumbs down.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

I thought it was ok, the race with the Cobra chopper and the Viper was a little messed up. I'm betting there will be more US cars in later shows. Looking forward to the show when they do the moonshine race. That looks funny.

They are already helping the image of the states with shots like this though :roll:
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg (42.1 KiB) Viewed 8713 times
They couldn't find a hot chick ](*,)

As for it being a rip off of the UK show, all the Top Gears run the same format..
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Muffin top!
Joe
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

bubba wrote:They are already helping the image of the states with shots like this though :roll:
What about this?
rutledge-wood.jpg
rutledge-wood.jpg (20.99 KiB) Viewed 8707 times
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Haven't seen that one... that's a lot of pink

He's also the one in pointing out the chic and saying "there is no way she can pull that off, I wouldn't even ware that"
-Thomas Jefferson
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

The one thing I do look forward to is the car hot laps. Unlike GB, California has a relatively mild climate with more sunny days than rainy ones. I really like on the UK series when they have a (for example) Ferrari out on their track and saying it isn't that fast. But when they show the video it's pouring rain, there is fog all over the track and it's close to freezing.

If it were me shooting the pilot I would've shot it like we were picking up from last season. The people who watch the show have probably seen the original enough to know the format. Like I said before we don't need them explaining what they are doing every 5 minutes.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Just watched episode two. Anyone have comments? I guess from watching Supercars Exposed and more recently Battle of the Supercars, both on SpeedTV, that Tanner Foust could carry his own show. He's the most interesting person on the show. I guess it has to do with his career as a rally/drift driver. He knows how to drive the cars and knows what he's talking about. The comedian that did the sub par burnout is there because he's a comedian by trade. The other guy is well... there. I'm not really sure what he brings to the show. I know he does something for NASCAR, but that would imply that most of us follow that "sport". According to some marketing exec at History this show is going to be more about the tuner/hot rod culture of Americans. Where's the test of the stock GT vs the Saleen/Roush? Where's the test of a Camaro vs a Camaro with aftermarket bolt-ons? Yes, we all like Lamborghinis, Ferraris and the likes but TGUK covers that enough. Not every car on the show needs to be a car that 5% of Americans can afford.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

I was looking at all the comments on FB about the new show, almost all are bashing the them for not meshing and ripping off the UK show. Kinda sad that the show will most likely be canceled because of the comments.

I'm hoping the show will grow in the next couple of EP's, but dont think it will ever appease the keyboard warriors on the net.

I liked the last show, hell who knew a blind guy could not only drift, but do a 180 power slide into a parking space. The dog at the end was priceless :lol:

Looking forward to the Moonshine show next week. Think it will be pretty good.
-Thomas Jefferson
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Major_A wrote:According to some marketing exec at History this show is going to be more about the tuner/hot rod culture of Americans. Where's the test of the stock GT vs the Saleen/Roush? Where's the test of a Camaro vs a Camaro with aftermarket bolt-ons? Yes, we all like Lamborghinis, Ferraris and the likes but TGUK covers that enough. Not every car on the show needs to be a car that 5% of Americans can afford.
I agree... cancel it if they aren't going to focus on american muscle...

Austin Martin, Lamborghini, Nissan, Suzuki... That's what I see on the first two episodes... Cars I could care less about and have nothing to do with US horse power or design.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

the guest driven "reasonably priced car" for the UK show was a Chevy for years.

Most of the cars shown on Top Gear UK are in average 60K+ cars, or super cars. I dont know anyone that afford a Zonda or Kernizeg..

Did anyone notice that the last two shows were sponsored by Mercedes

They could be running the highend cars trying to pull in the US guys that watch the UK show. Either way, hope they start melding better with each other.
-Thomas Jefferson
skier

Post by skier »

let's see, need Ford GT, Corvette, Viper, Fiesta Rally Spec, mustang, charger,challenger, camero, GTO, GT500, then go oldschool with restored Barracuda, dart, Cobra, GT500, GT350, '69 charger, BOSS Mustang, Roadrunner, satellite, GTO, superbird, GT-40 etc.

all i can think of off the top of my head anyway
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Viper SRT10 ACR was part of the first show, currently tops the lap times ahead of the Lambo Gallardo by 0.8 seconds
-Thomas Jefferson
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

We need more stock vs cars.

Some that come to mind...
Saleen
Roush
Linginfelter
Hennessey

It would be nice if they got their paws on the Hennessey/Lotus Venom GT before the Brits.
http://www.venomgt.com/
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Went back and looked at the TG Aussie version, they have had 3 seasons, none with the complete same cast. Thinking the guy they have now is staying, but who knows. But from the first show to the start of the 3rd season its night and day. Even they copied the UK version down to an exact copy of the set.

I wouldn't mind seeing stock car vs aftermarket type stuff.
-Thomas Jefferson
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

The problem is bubba that if it keeps up at this rate there won't be a 3rd season, let alone a 2nd one. The episodes I watched of the Australian version of the show did promote their own cars, i.e. Ford and Holden.

Oh and a big FYI. I recently watched the straight to DVD Top Gear: Apocalypse and it was garbage. Moral of that story is I guess they can't always get it right.

The other reason this show is doomed to fail is the US cable format. Unlike the BBC, which is run by the government, History has to pander to advertisers. Imagine like you said that Mercedes was throwing down some serious cash to advertise. Then the crew gets the new SLS AMG and tells the US viewers that it is a terrible car. I can bet you bottom dollar that Mercedes is not going to shell out the cash to continue advertising. In that same breathe what other advertisers are there during the show? Sorry I DVR it and skip all the commercials I can. Is Summit or JEGS running ads?
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Is it just me or is the show getting more enjoyable? At first I really couldn't stand Rutledge, now I think he's the best presenter. It seems more natural to him anyway. Hopefully History is getting good enough rating to keep the show going. I'm curious now to see how it progresses.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Yes, it is getting better. Didnt care for the used car episode, but over all the show is getting better.

Watched the first couple of new UK shows for this year, the trip through the middle east was interesting to watch. Wondering if the US show will do something like the road trips the UK show does.
-Thomas Jefferson