Now I'm Mad...

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Now I'm Mad...

Post by Major_A »

I have officially removed my college education from my resume. I assume it is one of the many things keeping me from getting a job. The hope is if I look like a less skilled individual I will at least get some call backs. If I still owed money toward my education I would be beyond pissed.

My friend, no college degree, called earlier to gloat about having a job and money. "Oh I didn't tell you I found a job?" Bastard. This was the straw that broke the camel's back.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Now I'm Mad...

Post by bubba »

Yeah, I REALLY love the statement "you're over qualified for this job"... really, because I'm not stupid you're not going to higher me???

Luckily I have escaped current downsizing at work, but when I was changing jobs the last time I took to tweaking the resume to fit more to the job I was applying for. Didn't put everything in there. Applied twice for the same job, first time everything listed.. nothing, second left some serious gaps in the history and no schooling after high school, I got the job. friggen insane. but I was able to feed myself for a while until I could find something better suited to what I was wanting to do.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Sporg
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sporg »

Or "we really like everything that you have to offer but have decided to go another direction"...WTF!?! 1) Make you feel good about yourself 2) Shoot you in the chest... jerktards...

I have been lucky to dodge multiple reorgs where I'm at, but have had plenty of friends who are talented and educated that have had a terrible time finding anything decent. Good luck to you Major finding something. Like Bubba said it is a good idea to tweak your resume to fit the job. Persistence will also sometimes be noticed. If the HR person sees the same name pop up multiple times it may help your chances as well. And as far as resumes go there are no perfect answers either. You never know what they're going to look at first or what they will find most important.

I keep a "master" that has a ton of detail and then trim it down depending on what job I want. After a while you tend to forget all of the things that you've done so it helps trigger the memory and lets you tailor to the position you are trying for.
I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong.
~Bertrand Russell
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

There's the problem I either have too much experience or not enough. I'm right in the middle, so I'm over-qualified for menial jobs and under-qualified for jobs that have a decent salary.

I have been looking for over a year and I'm just really frustrated. I've gone as far as applying to places like Target to stock groceries but I was turned down. I have been signed up with 8-10 staffing services and have never received a call from any of them. I even tried to sign up with the Army's OCS for active duty but an old injury kept me from going (I think, I haven't heard anything from the recruiter in 6 months). My friend with the same experience as me (minus a college degree) starts looking and gets one within a few months. So I'm going to remove the degree and see what happens.
skier

Post by skier »

i'm sure it also helps that so many people lie on their resume's so HR see's certain people (ie, you) as too good to be true and throw it
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I know you are in a sucky spot and stuck with it... but I'm very interested if removing the college experience will help you getting hired.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sparky »

Man that's rough. I've got a sister with a UC degree working a clerical job. I've got a daughter in a Cal State college right now and I can only hope by the time she graduates the economy has picked up to where she can get a good job.
Hang in there, something will come through.
MSI Meg X570 Unify | Ryzen 3900X | Noctuna NH-U12A | G.Skill RipJaws DDR4 3600 16GB | Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe | (2) WD Blue 3TB Backups | MSI 2060 Super Gaming X | Meshify - C | SB X-Fi
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I'm assuming here that the last post was some sort of spam. Given that, I have a degree that I had to go sit in classes with 300+ other students. I didn't wake up, and turn in my assignments over the internet. I know that the University of Houston isn't the best school in Texas, let alone Houston (Rice). But it has to be better than most pajama colleges out there.