Rolling Blackouts - Woohoo (That's Sarcasm)

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Rolling Blackouts - Woohoo (That's Sarcasm)

Post by Major_A »

Apparently the city of Houston and surrounding cities/towns are rolling blackouts. I guess we're using too much juice to keep from freezing to death. I've been up since 6AM (now 10AM) and we've already had 2. The first one lasted an hour and the last one lasted about 20 minutes.

I know that it being 20 degrees isn't a big deal for some of you Yanks. But here that's a pretty big deal. We put up with 110 degree July days to have mild winters. Anyone else having these mandatory blackouts?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rolling Blackouts - Woohoo (That's Sarcasm)

Post by Apoptosis »

All fine here in STL...

Good thing electric cars aren't released in force yet... wait to see what those do to the grid.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

DSC_0039.JPG
No rolling backouts, but they are having trouble finding places to put the snow in MA. Streets are getting narrower and narrower. That's the snowpack, almost 3.5ft. For the past three weeks, we've had a medium to large snow storm.
skier

Post by skier »

dicecca112 wrote:
No rolling backouts, but they are having trouble finding places to put the snow in MA. Streets are getting narrower and narrower. That's the snowpack, almost 3.5ft. For the past three weeks, we've had a medium to large snow storm.
theres a facebook event for the current storm: Snowpocalypse

I'm just happy classes are cancelled today so I can continue to recover from a nasty sinus cold

up north would never have a blackout from cold though, as a majority of residents burn oil or wood (wood is so much warmer than oil, fill the boiler and you got 220 degree water where oil is around 180 :D )
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

skier wrote:
dicecca112 wrote:
theres a facebook event for the current storm: Snowpocalypse

I'm just happy classes are cancelled today so I can continue to recover from a nasty sinus cold

up north would never have a blackout from cold though, as a majority of residents burn oil or wood (wood is so much warmer than oil, fill the boiler and you got 220 degree water where oil is around 180 :D )
What is painful now is everything is covered with Ice, not bad if there was snow underneath it, but most of my car is covered with a mm of ice.
skier

Post by skier »

dicecca112 wrote:What is painful now is everything is covered with Ice, not bad if there was snow underneath it, but most of my car is covered with a mm of ice.
ice from your car being warm when it was snowing onto it and the snow melted then froze then snowed more? or did you actually get freezing rain at some point. the latter is much worse lol
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

A little of both unfortunately
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

FYI its not just houston, its the entire state of Texas. We have fallen victim up here in the Dallas Fort Worth area too.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

That's surprising. Figured with the Super Bowl in Dallas they would be getting all the juice they needed.

Sorry about the snow you guys are dealing with. I've only had to dig a car out of ice/snow one time, when I was working in Detroit. If I had to do that everyday I'd probably be in better physical shape.
Dragon_Cooler
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Dragon_Cooler »

Major_A wrote:That's surprising. Figured with the Super Bowl in Dallas they would be getting all the juice they needed.

Sorry about the snow you guys are dealing with. I've only had to dig a car out of ice/snow one time, when I was working in Detroit. If I had to do that everyday I'd probably be in better physical shape.
The whole city of Arlington where Jerry world resides didnt get affected by it. All the other cities did though.