OPEC: Wait until June

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
Sublime
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

OPEC: Wait until June

Post by Sublime »

OPEC is "deeply concerned" about high world oil prices and wants to calm the market to support global economic growth, OPEC President Purnomo Yusgiantoro said in a statement released on Saturday.
It also seems that the major oil producing countries are split on what to do right now.
On Friday, Saudi Arabia -- the world's largest oil producer -- announced it was prepared to increase its individual oil output to more than 9 million barrels a day in an effort to calm turbulent oil markets.

Iraq's Oil Minister Ibrahim Alolom said his country backed the measure "aiming at the restoration of market stability and calming oil prices."

However, Venezuela's Oil Minister Rafael Ramirez Friday said his country still opposes any increase in OPEC oil supply, saying it would not help alleviate the recent spike in oil prices.

Oil prices closed below $40 for the first time in 10 days Friday, after Saudi Arabia proposed the increase
All I know is gas prices dropped by like 10 cents here in the past week and I'm liking prices back in the $1.86 range. It can keep going down though.

Full Text
kalmark
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by kalmark »

That's nothing compared to European gas prices, ya know...
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

true... but you guys are used to heavy gas taxes and high prices already.
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

we suffer.... damn british tax on petrol, 70% of our petrol is TAX! BAH!

Thats democracy for ya!
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Europe in general has outragous taxes on gas............Boy was I happy when I moved back to the US............. 8)
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

The big difference between Europe and the US is public transportation. if you came to the us you would quickly realize that there are no trains, no buses, no subways except in sections of the country. Most of the US is rural and with out any from of public transport. You pay high gas prices to keep you from driving and using public transport. Where as the US would collapse economically if gas were that expensive.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
mrplow
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by mrplow »

infinitevalence wrote:The big difference between Europe and the US is public transportation. if you came to the us you would quickly realize that there are no trains, no buses, no subways except in sections of the country. Most of the US is rural and with out any from of public transport. You pay high gas prices to keep you from driving and using public transport. Where as the US would collapse economically if gas were that expensive.
I think that's the most sensible counter argument to the whole "you americans get petrol (gas..) far too cheap!!" thing I've ever read. Props!
illegitimate emus
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

not really, american cars eat feul like theres no tommorow, they have massive engines, like all US appliances it goes on the principle of bigger is better, which isnt.

In europe we conentrate on economising aswell thats why our cars do lots of miles per gallon...
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Immortal I would not disagree that we use a lot of fuel. First and foremost most of the fuel oil the United States uses goes to generate power and heat homes. Yes we have big cars with big engines, but contrary to popular belief we don’t have a lot of choice when it comes to buying cars. Most Americans are to poor to buy a new vehicle that is fuel efficient. I know that I for one will not be able to buy a new hybrid care even though I want one. I will most likely end up with a $3000 use care and I will be at the whims of auto makers who produced big cars in the mid nineties. We do consume lots of fuel but its because no one has or is willing yet to spend the money to modernize our energy production and transportation.
Maestro
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Maestro »

seems like half the cars on the road in US are really huge SUV's. I don't know why they're in fashion. the Prius hybrid gets 3x the gas mileage of an SUV, and is a very good car. my next car will definitely be a hybrid. federal govt should offer some incentives for people to buy hybrids, and maybe would if the big 3 weren't so hopelessly behind Japan in R&D.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Immortal

Post by Immortal »

Infinite, i agree with what youre saying, the US should find alternate ways of making feul, like Nuclear or HEP.

Then again, bush wont sign up to Kyoto, i sincerley hope your next president is more envoronmentally concious...
az3rch
Legit User
Legit User

Post by az3rch »

Being unemployeed and having to drive doesnt help. I drive to see family, friends, and my puppy (staying with the parents right now). I filled up my car yesterday ($18.50) to fill it up at 1.95 here in Central PA. The gas prices suck.
Maestro
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Maestro »

and nobody's happy about it except a few big companies in Texas and their good buddy George.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

I am politicaly happy because it will get more people thinking that our dependance on forign oil is not such a good thing. It will also increase the demand for high efficency vehicals. Do i like paying these kinds of prices. NO but i would rather pay high gas prices than support terrorism and so i can breath in 50 years.
Wolfgang70
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Wolfgang70 »

YES! Infinite hit it over the fence! Maybe now Bush will do what he said he would do in his first State-of-the-Union address and look at alternative energy. Oh, wait, he may not get that opportunity. Oh well, just switch Bush with Kerry and I'll be good either way.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Its not so much the people in charge as the corperations. They will start producing better vehicals when no one can afford to buy or fule the ones they sell now. They cannot force us as consumers to buy cars we dont want. At some point their buisness depends on a sale and more and more people are asking for fule efficency and hybrid vehicals. i suggest that you go to your dealership and look at several car and alwasys turn them down because they dont get 70+mpg, then maybe the corps will start listening.