Russian Small Arms - When Will They Disappear?

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Russian Small Arms - When Will They Disappear?

Post by Major_A »

I was looking on CNN earlier and something caught my eye. There's a story about British special forces being held by Libyan forces.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa/03 ... tml?hpt=T1
t1larg.libya.rebel.car.PNG
t1larg.libya.rebel.car.PNG (149.64 KiB) Viewed 2535 times
At what point are Russian AK rifles going to become few and far between? Every war we have gone to since Vietnam has essentially been against the AK-47. I own an AK-74 and I know that it's a rugged gun. After 2,000 hard rounds (I could only bump fire it for a long time, bad trigger group) through my gun the chrome lined barrel still looks like when I bought the rifle. I don't know that the world would be a better place without the AK in every hand of every person willing to fight around the globe. But I do know that American soldiers would be in a lot better shape if they weren't up against a formidable weapon.

Thoughts?
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Russian Small Arms - When Will They Disappear?

Post by DragonFury »

I shot an Russian and Chinese model AK-47 me personally I think the gun sucks. It has a lot of slop in the bolt carrier group and the bullets seem to wobble down the barrel. Maybe that is why they are so "rugged" because is enough slop that dirt does not bother it. I have shot a g36, mp5 (decent close quarter weapon), M4, M16, AUG which I absolutely love, and few dozen other fully auto weapons and all of them were more accurate, less kick and did not seem to have slop. Also if a US soldier knows how to actually use his m4 or m16 it is a very formidable weapon. I have never had my M4/M16/M249 SAW (I served in the US army) not once jam or miss fire, while shooting in the rain or while I was in high temperature desert conditions.
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Russian Small Arms - When Will They Disappear?

Post by bubba »

There are SO many AK variants they will be around for a very long time. They are very tough, not picky about what is done to them, dont have to be cleaned as often as an AR style does (gas tube mainly). Its also very simple to operate and fix, super cheap to make, NO regulations on its design being copied.

From the movie Lord of War (and its quite true)
Of all the weapons in the vast soviet arsenal, nothing was more profitable than Avtomat Kalashnikova model of 1947. More commonly known as the AK-47, or Kalashnikov. It's the world's most popular assault rifle. A weapon all fighters love. An elegantly simple 9 pound amalgamation of forged steel and plywood. It doesn't break, jam, or overheat. It'll shoot whether it's covered in mud or filled with sand. It's so easy, even a child can use it; and they do. The Soviets put the gun on a coin. Mozambique put it on their flag. Since the end of the Cold War, the Kalashnikov has become the Russian people's greatest export. After that comes vodka, caviar, and suicidal novelists. One thing is for sure, no one was lining up to buy their cars.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson