Mike Rowe's Senate Terstimony

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
FZ1

Mike Rowe's Senate Terstimony

Post by FZ1 »

Wow, this is good stuff - http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/dirty ... imony.html

I know Nate and some others like to do "handyman" type stuff and I grew up doing it a lot with my dad. For you youngsters out there...go learn a trade or two!
Joe
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Mike Rowe's Senate Terstimony

Post by bubba »

That's the problem with a lot of people anymore, no one wants to work. They want stuff handed to them. I have a couple friends that do construction type work. The love it, wouldn't give it up for a desk job for nothing.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Sparky »

Mike Rowe has hit the nail on the head...today's kids entering the job market don't want to do this kind of stuff. It's too bad, our country needs people like that to keep us growing instead of sitting around and waiting for somebody to off you a CEO or CFO position...it ain't gonna happen!
MSI Meg X570 Unify | Ryzen 3900X | Noctuna NH-U12A | G.Skill RipJaws DDR4 3600 16GB | Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe | (2) WD Blue 3TB Backups | MSI 2060 Super Gaming X | Meshify - C | SB X-Fi
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

I completely agree with mike rowes statement.
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I have a college degree and will dig a ditch. But since I don't have professional experience digging a ditch I don't get a call back. This works both ways. I'm ready to work but employers with "menial" jobs see me as over-qualified. Or since I have no experience in that field I don't get a callback either. Hey guys, my degree isn't worth much but it should show you that I have the capacity to LEARN. Teach me and I guarantee you that I can pick whatever the job is up pretty damn quick. I'd rather work with my hands and create something rather than sit in a cubicle all day long. I've done both and sitting in a cubicle isn't all that fun.
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

Major_A wrote:I have a college degree and will dig a ditch. But since I don't have professional experience digging a ditch I don't get a call back. This works both ways. I'm ready to work but employers with "menial" jobs see me as over-qualified. Or since I have no experience in that field I don't get a callback either. Hey guys, my degree isn't worth much but it should show you that I have the capacity to LEARN. Teach me and I guarantee you that I can pick whatever the job is up pretty damn quick. I'd rather work with my hands and create something rather than sit in a cubicle all day long. I've done both and sitting in a cubicle isn't all that fun.
I do not know who you were trying to get a job from but you do not need to have "experience" to dig ditches. How do I know, because I used to dig ditches, lots of ditches all over the place. I dug ditches for drilling rigs, farmers, home, auto repair, US Army, and everything in between. Now I do congratulate you on your willingness to goto work no matter what it is. I think the people at the company did not want to "hire you" because they did not want to pay you a fair wage, hence "you need experience" BS If you had time I see if they hire any illegals. in my experience when looking for jobs in the menial job market, and was told I needed "experience" is that they had Illegals working for them, California, Nevada and in Utah. Or it could mean that they wanted to hire a friend or family member, but in order to do it legally, they had to print that there is a job opening.
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Digging ditches was just an example. My point was they want experience no matter what the job is. But at the same time no one is bothering to teach you so you can gain experience.