Major terror attack possible this summer in America

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
Sublime
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Major terror attack possible this summer in America

Post by Sublime »

Several U.S. officials said Tuesday that intelligence indicates there is increasing concern about the possibility of a major terrorist attack on U.S. soil, perhaps as early as this summer. Details on how to deal with the threat are expected to be released in the weekly FBI bulletin on Wednesday.

security officials have expressed concern about several upcoming high-profile events, including Saturday's dedication of the National World War II Memorial on the National Mall in Washington, D.C.

Other potential targets include the G8 economic summit on Sea Island, Georgia, Fourth of July celebrations, the Democratic convention in Boston, the Republican convention in New York, and the Olympics in Greece.
Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

Guess we will find out more info tomorrow!
bigapl
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by bigapl »

Great ther goes any plans I had for any large national events this year, guess I'll stay home and frag everyone online LOL and drink beer hahaha.
Sublime
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Sublime »

heh... just saw this too :(
LONDON, England (AP) -- Despite losses around the world, al Qaeda has more than 18,000 potential terrorists, and its ranks are growing because of the conflict in Iraq, a leading think tank warned Tuesday.

Al Qaeda still has a functioning leadership despite the death or capture of key figures, and estimates suggest al Qaeda operates in more than 60 nations around the world, the International Institute of Strategic Studies said in its Strategic Survey 2003-4.
but this is the shocker to me...
The estimate of 18,000 fighters was based on intelligence estimates that al Qaeda trained at least 20,000 fighters in its training camps in Afghanistan before the United States and its allies ousted the Taliban regime. In the ensuing war on terror, some 2,000 al Qaeda fighters have been killed or captured, the survey said.
Only 2,000 have been killed or captured? WTF... I thought we had a bunch more killed or jailed. Almost 3 years after 9/11 and thats all we have done to disrupte their organization? I'm kinda speechless. The media made it sound like we bombed the heck out of them and took care of them in Afghanastan.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Its a good thing that daddy Bush trained Bin laudin in terrorism otherwise he would have had a much harder time learning.
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

hindsight is 20/20, alot of our former allies have become adversaries. I think it is just the way of the world in that you allign yourself with the lesser of evils and it comes back to bite you in the ass later.
As to al-Quaeda, like all terror orgs, they prey on the weak and feeble minded types, recruiting the loners and outcasts with promises of virgins and wealth in th afterlife. If it is so great, how come none of these leaders are willing to sacrifice themselves? Bin laden was a known bad guy as early as 93, and a target of opportunity to many teams operating in the middle east ever since, but he is a wily one.
what scares me more than our enemies are countries like Saudi Arabia and Jordan, guys that smile to our face but would stick it to us in a minute. Syria and Iran are also very bad people that wish us ill.
As to terror targets, I think we should evacuate all innocent people from the political conventions and let the terrorists take them out. I don't think they realize they'd be doing us a favor.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

(CNN) -- Attorney General John Ashcroft and FBI Director Robert Mueller will hold a news conference Wednesday amid intelligence that has increased concern over the possibility of a major terrorist attack on U.S. soil.

Such an attack could take place as early as this summer, according to several U.S. officials.

CNN plans live coverage of the Ashcroft-Mueller news conference at 2 p.m. ET (1800 GMT) on Wednesday.
Looks like we will find out what is up this afternoon
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Now all you city folk will understand why I live so far out in the country and have my own little arms room in the basement..........alot safer that way............I know I'll take a few with me if they come out this way............I don't want to sound like a rasist or anything but out here in my area, if you're not a WASP you get looked at real hard by everybody. I'll be pretty safe pretty much no matter what they do except for a all out nuc or bio attack on the US. Got a deep filtered well, my own power generators and satellite internet and phone.........I'm set........ 8)
mrplow
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by mrplow »

Bio-Hazard wrote:Now all you city folk will understand why I live so far out in the country and have my own little arms room in the basement..........alot safer that way............I know I'll take a few with me if they come out this way............ Got a deep filtered well, my own power generators and satellite internet and phone.........I'm set........ 8)
Hey I know you, your that crazy guy in Tremors!
illegitimate emus
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Close.............but not there yet................I don't have my bunker done yet............ :shock:
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

im in a secluded place to, but we have an RAF base around 5 miles away from us... so were fairly well protected.... :)
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I'm totally screwed, I live in Sin City (actually about 25 miles from the strip on the very northern hills). They own all the convenience stores and drive all the taxis here. there'd be no slurpees or transportation.
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

I have no fear who the hell wants to blow up the home of country music :) well other than goths, punks, and metal heads. Some how i just dont worry about it because if it happens to me i will be dead, and if it does not happen then i live. Its not like i can do a whole lot to stop a terrorist from blowing him/herself up.
T-Shirt
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by T-Shirt »

It's getting harder to say who are the terrorists here, al-Quaeda? or Ashcroft?
al-Quaeda is somewhat of a threat, but really doesn't need to do anything more, cause Ashcroft continues to stir up fear by announcing more attacks are coming, even when none of the other depts getting the same info see any rise in the threat level.
Ashcrofts actions seem more about politics and less about about protecting the citizens.
In fact, we have a homeland security dept. specificlly created to deal with this, and make announcements/take actions when appropreiate.
18'000 trained or 80 million angry? (it doesn't take much training to blow yourself up) it doesn't really matter, until we change the belief that you can kill all the terrorists, and life will go back to normal. it isn't going to happen. :( .
until we get a government that understands working with others around the world (legitimate govornments, and moderate political/religous groups) is the best chance of slowing or stopping the fanatics.
apparently they they don't teach them in texas that if you keep poking wasps nests with a stick, the wasps become angry and attack. helping other wasps develop big stingers, hpoing they'll only attack the "bad" wasps (CIA director bush the first~binladen in the 80's) only works in the short run, then the super wasps sting you anyway. You can never be friends with the wasps, but you can try to control their population in more balanced ways.

November can't come soon enough for me, I only hope in comes in time to save our country
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Like a big ass can of raid called NUKES :) /jk

i think you have a good point that all we are doing is making more trouble for our selves. I certenly dont think that bush is helping in any way shape or form. I think his forign policy is the reason that we cannot get any support in the middle east. and i think a lot of people/countries are still pissed at his dad and dont see a difference between him and his son. I for one think they are both morons for different reasons, well for that matter i dont think we have had a president i have liked sinces i was born.
Last edited by infinitevalence on Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfgang70
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Wolfgang70 »

Yeah, I tend to take those warnings with a grain of salt. I realize that we can't let our guard down and so forth but until they tell me don't go here or don't do this because they're going to do something on this day then I'm not going to stress about it. I see no reason to be paranoid just because As*croft says I should be. Vigilant, yes. Paranoid, no.