AK Paint Job

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

AK Paint Job

Post by Major_A »

I had to repaint a hardhat earlier and I used the only can of spray paint that had anything left it it. After it dried I liked the look so I shot the furniture on my AK with the spray paint. As you can tell in the picture it appears that I missed some spots and the can is empty. I'll finish it up later. I like how it came out, let me know what you think. I have two black clips that I didn't shoot. This one is the brown bakelite mag that came with the gun.

Click for a larger pic.

Before:

After:

If you're curious the spray paint is Ultra-Flat Krylon Camouflage Khaki.
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: AK Paint Job

Post by Skippman »

Is the mag sprayed all the way up? Or did you mask it at where it seat in the receiver? I'm guessing you sanded down the foregrips first?

Is that stuff textured? I'd worry about it gumming up the receiver if it was.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

It's sprayed all the way up. I haven't ran that mag in the gun since I bought the other two mags (they fit better). Yeah I hit the front grips and the magazine with 220 grit sandpaper then hit it with some 3M emery cloth. It's not textured. I'd like to think it wouldn't affect the AK. I mean it's an AK, they just work.

You didn't say. Does it look like crap?
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

That's true. It's kinda like trying to screw up a pipe wrench. Just doesn't happen. Me, I'm more an AR guy.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I was going to buy an AR right before Obama went into office and had everyone scared. For a Bushmaster places wanted $1,200. I just couldn't do it. Now you can get the same gun for $600.
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

i love my guns but here in the uk the only things you can get are airsoft without being a police officer or something to get the real thing. but i dot love the ak and that piant looks cool. gives it a more modern feel which works. tbh my favourite guns of all time are the M14, PPSH and AUG
MSI Z590 Gaming Edge Wifi
Core i7 10700KF 5Ghz @ 1.25v With Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super 1980Mhz @ 0.925v With TechN GPU Block
32Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3600Mhz 16-18-18-38
Aqua Computer Ultitube 200 Pro D5 Next
Corsair XR5 240mm x2 & 360mm
Intel 670p 2Tb & WD Blue M.2 2Tb
Corsair HX1000i
Philips Momentum 3000 24" (Main) & MSI Optix G241V E2 (Second)
Lian Li O11D
Roccat Vulcan 120 Aimo, Roccat Kone Aimo Remastered and Roccat Sym Pro Air
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I want a SOCOM II M14/M1A but... Springfield is proud of their gun. The MSRP on the gun is something like $2,000.
http://www.springfield-armory.com/armory.php?model=18

Did the citizens of the UK vote to ban firearms or did Parliament vote and pass the law? It's a good thing the second amendment to our Constitution is the right to own guns.
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

you can buy them and get away with it but if your caught with one even in your house you will get in trouble unless you have licence to prove your reason for having one! :(
Corsair HX1000i
Lian Li O11D
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

ehh... not my cup of tea, but I like the wood look on some guns. On the ones that don't have wood, black.

Working on building an AR, things keeping getting in the way... ah life LOL

Top of my wish list is a 12ga over/under, talk about not cheap.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Skippman
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Skippman »

The SOCOM is oh so sexy! But you're right, Springfield is proud of their gear. That being said my XD .45 is probably the best handgun I've ever personally owned and was worth every penny.

I've been wanting a 7.62/.308 for a long while. The SOCOM was on my short list but if I'm spending that much I'm thinking I'll get that POF AR-10 instead. I've seen it for $2000 before.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

After I painted the hardhat I thought the color looked a lot like the Dark Earth/Desert Tan tone.
http://www.amazon.com/Tapco-Stock-Deser ... B002G8TBP4

Call me crazy but I like the duo tone pistols (mainly Springfield XD) in blue and OD green.
http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd.php?version=67

I have a question. Who do you license with to build 1911s or AR-15s? Seems like there's an opening there that every gun company is taking advantage of.
DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

that socom in fair is sexy looking now that i seen it. skippman you found a pof ar-10 for $2000 the cheapest i found it is $2,499 and i hate that it's american as i can't export it over to here, none of them guns from outside uk i can have :( this is why i by air pistols and rifles like my desert eagle full metal .77cal lead pellet at 400fps or my mp5 .20gram bb 250fps and finally my baby the remington 700 sniper rifle .77cal lead pellets 550fps :lol:
Corsair HX1000i
Lian Li O11D
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Major_A wrote:I have a question. Who do you license with to build 1911s or AR-15s? Seems like there's an opening there that every gun company is taking advantage of.
From what I understand after the 20 year mark Colt didn't get anything anymore, that's when the boom hit. Hell if you had a Gunsmiths FFL and the right tools you can build one from a block of metal if you had the time and skill.

Dad has built a couple 1911's from ground up, but it was from Caspian machined frame and slide, and hand fit everything.

I'm working on building an AR for ground hog hunting, building it a piece at a time. Have the complete lower done now working on the upper.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

Yes this is an old topic but my I recently changed something. I had the original furniture (hand guards) and stumbled across some Rustoleum gloss black paint so I figured what the hell. I lightly sanded the old wood and shot it black. When I put it on the gun it screamed meh. So I drove over to Academy (local version of Dick's Sporting Goods) to see what they had in the store. Picked up a couple items for under $20 and grabbed the drill. 5 minutes later I'd say it came out ok. The paint I used must be old cause the coverage wasn't very good and you can see it in the picture.

DJ Tucker
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DJ Tucker »

yeah it turned out pretty good. you can see the paint not covering to well but it gives a well used effect to it which kinda works. i'll try and get a pic of my gamo p25 co2 blowback. after i modded the chamber so the pellet came out straighter and loosened the blowback mechanism to give it a bit more recoil effect :)
Corsair HX1000i
Lian Li O11D