MIDI Keyboards and all things VST

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
unfaithfulsfan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

MIDI Keyboards and all things VST

Post by unfaithfulsfan »

Hi ever'body, it's me again! I have wandered off my normal disastrous path into a dense thicket of all new mysteries and quagmires. I don't know if any of y'all are into digital music creation at all but if ANYbody is...Please help me before I go even more nuts than I already am! :drool:

For my 50th last October my wife gave me an M-Audio Keystation 61es MIDI keyboard controller because I want to seriously learn to play the piano. A trumpet or french horn (my former main instruments) are out of the question because of my maw-in-law's heart condition. I had a nice Kawai keyboard back in the mid-80s but finally sold it because I never had time to play.

At first I was using Magix MusicMaker, a loop-based music program, but in order to hear any sound I had to use an ASIO driver which disables any other sound sources. :evil: After 6 weeks or so, when I bought my first lesson set, I stumbled across VSTHost which uses the normal Windows sound driver so I could listen to/watch the video and immediately play along. Don't know why but a week or so ago, the little program stopped working. :nut kick:

I removed it from my computer, d/l'd it again, "installed" it again (it's kinda like DOS...there's no "installation" per se..just a small executable. It's all about remembering where you put it and the VST plug-ins) but I still can't get it to work! I know the correct Windows sound driver is loaded because I can hear sounds. I've pored over the documentation for VSTHost but I've found nothing to remedy the problem.

Do you know of any other free programs/utilities that will run VST plugins? Or what could suddenly cause VSTHost to stop working. I'm not really looking at mixing, mastering and recording (not necessarily in that order) yet. I just want to be able to hear myself play what I can already play and work on my technique. As an aside, I'm just about ready to re-install W7 due to DVD Shrink's & Decrypter's sudden decision to look for Nero which isn't even installed! But that took place after I installed Quicktime. My piano troubles pre-dates that issue,, unless of course this is all part of the same problem.

Thanks for any help you can share!
Jack
"A payphone was ringing and it just about blew my mind,
when I picked it up & said 'Hello' this foot came through the line"
~Bob Dylan