Ronald Reagan dies at 93

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ronald Reagan dies at 93

Post by Illuminati »

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- Former President Ronald Reagan died Saturday at his home in Los Angeles. He was 93.
He will be missed.
http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/06/ ... index.html
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

Not trying to be an asshole but i will miss him as an actor a lot more than as a president
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Seeing as most people around these forums were still in grade school or younger when he was president, that is pretty understandable. The man did more for our nations security than any other president in many many years. I think alot of people need to study up on history a little. I was in the Army during the time he was in office, and I'm very proud to beable to say that he was a great commander and chief......... 8)
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

You know im thinking that they need to change the name of CNN to RRN. The Ronald Reagan Network. I know the man is dead, i know he was our president but at what point is the media going to report some real freaking news. The rest of the universe did not stop spining just because 1 man died.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Ronald Reagan was a great President and a great man, he will be missed tremendously. Unlike more recent Presidents, he cared about what was good foor the country (Is it just me or is Bill Clinton a huge asshole, sniveling because he wasn't asked to speak at the funeral, another example of him being more important than anything else).
President Reagan was a real classy guy.
God Bless him
As to the media, they are all scum. They are not about reporting news and allowing you to make up your own mind, now it is about them "making" the news, and telling you what to think...watch FOX, then watch any other news source, seems like two totally different events. Just report the news and let me make up my mind.... oh, and I totally forgot about the journalists who fabricate news in an effort to break news.
Wolfgang70
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Wolfgang70 »

It's just you capper. 8)
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

If it is just me, we are in serious trouble. When someone puts their ego above a person who has just passed away, especially such a great man, it is very sad. Bill Clinton has always had to be the center of attention. Why should he get to speak at the services? Was he a contemporary? was he a colleague? a friend? Isn't it the families choice who they want to speak? How classy is it to openly complain when you aren't asked to give a speech?
I find it disgusting that politics has even invaded this, as Republicans are accused of using it to help Bush, and both parties are making political statements in their eulogies.
It is hard for me to believe this country is so divided, at some point everyone needs to put their political ideologies aside and support what is right for all of us, not their "party".
Oh and you have to love our political process when the Dems are pressuring Ralph Nader to not run for Pres, and challenging all his petitions, because he cost them the election, and they are afraid he will again. Sure am glad to see we have the right to choose who we want.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Infinte
I'm sure you realize that now, in the age of "breaking news" and 24 hr news networks, that there isn't always going to be something newsworthy happening. 20 years ago the nightly news was perfectly fine, now you have 4-5 24 networks, countless others with the crawler across the bottom of the screen, the net, etc...... anything and everything that is news will suffer from overkill
Wolfgang70
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Wolfgang70 »

Capper,

Please show me where Clinton is angry or whatever for not being allowed to speak. Something with a full quote from him please. And why do you dislike Clinton so much? What did he do that was so wrong? Get caught with his pants down? Just curious.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

I actually saw the thing regarding Clinto on both CNN and Fox news.
As to my personal feelings for the POS, and I'm sure Bio has similar feelings, go research the "Blackhawk Down" incident in Somalia, the constant waivering on Haiti, North Korea, Iraq, etc. The man made a foreign policy mess that we are now forced to deal with...notice he has been awfully quiet about all of this.
I don't care that he screwed around, several others have done the same thing, but even in thast incident he lied repeatedly, and destroyed a young ladies credibility, yet even after he acknowledged his infidelity, he never apologized to her, or any of the others he slandered. The there is the all the other small things, like Whitewater. Our worst President since Jimmy Carter, hopefully he will be half as productive after leaving office as Carter has been.
These are just my personal feelings, I'm not a politician, I don't like politicians, I am a soldier. Politicians are mostly, none of them have our countries best interests in mind, only personal gain.
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Clinton isn't even worth my breath to talk about him.......I was in Somalia during the time of the "Blackhawk Down incident, I lost several good friends there...............so lets just leave it at that.
President Reagan was a good man, I still haven't figured out the right way to discribe Clinton, that can be typed on a public forum anyway.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

To me, Somalia was the defining moment of Clinton's time in office. Somalia was a serious goat rodeo, the commander asked for armor several times, as well as more combat troops because the Somali militia was getting more and more ballsy. Clinton refused every request because he was afraid of public opinion of escalating the conflict. You either do something right, or you don't do it at all. Instead Clinton's repeated indecision killed alot of soldiers, three weeks later he withdrew everyone, without accomplishing what we were there for. Trivializing every soldier who sacrificed his life. Soldiers fight and soldiers die, that is a fact, I have a serious problem when they die for no reason, or theiir sacrifice is trivialized like my friends and Bio's friends
George Bush dispatched troops to Somalia (alot of people don't realize that there were operations going on in Somalia during the Gulf War, Somalia was lawless and several foreigners were taked hostage or killed) to help feed a starving populace, because of public outcry in the US, after he left office, the warlords started attacking and killing peacekeepers. So the situation escalated, yet Clinton was more worried about his public perception than doing the right thing
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Im not going to disagree that Somalia was irresponsible as was his personal life. I think its also true that Clinton was more concerned about polls than other presidents. My problems with Reagan are some big things as well. The war on drugs has put millions of people in jail over the years. That war is a direct result of the Reagan era. Why in the world he thought selling weapons to Iran was a good idea i will never understand. He and Bush sr. Osama bin laden was trained armed and hates our guts. Then there is panama, its simply amazing what we did there. The US conducted mass killings of the P.D.F and dug mass graves for the dead. Foreign Journalists were killed by US Marines, and local populations were poisoned and slaughtered if they refused to move. I love the idea of a democracy but when the US government covers its own miss handling and war crimes we of all people need to know so that we can hold our leaders responsible for allowing such transgressions. At no point did I sanction or condone the killings in Panama, Somalia, or Iraq the first or second time yet our leaders did them any way. Reagan did some amazing things in terms of ending the cold war and his handling and support of Gorbachev. But at the same time he left us in economic turmoil with the largest deficit and debt in history. He also ignored the rest of the world and focused only on communism. That’s about it for my reasons for disliking him as a president. I know its no the most organized string of thoughts but o well this is a forum and not a political science class.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Well, first it is a proven fact and several people testified that Reagan had no knowledge of Iran/Contra, he himself said he was guilty of nothing except poor judgement. As to Bin Laden etc, hindsight is 20/20, at the time we were indirectly fighting the Russians, throughout history there have been examples just like that.
Having been in Panama, I think you are the victim of either bad propaganda or watched too many movies, there were no mass killings, poisonings, mass graves, but there was some hearty close quarters combat.

I think your idea of what happened in those places is misguided. I have been in more than one combat zone, and one thing I will say is American soldiers are the best in the world, we fight with a conscience (sp), I and every american I have served with would put ourselves in harms way before we would hurt civilians or let them be hurt. Don't let a couple scumbags in Iraq taint your view of good soldiers.
As to your post as a whole, please don't apologize you are not in a literature class or journalism class, I'm glad you share you opinion and I honestly think very highly of you, not just for your computer knowledge, but for your ideas and point of view.
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

Infinite,
One last thought and then I'm going to drop the topic. I found the fastest way to lose friends is to discuss politics or religion, so I'm going to try to stay to the lighthearted stuff when not talking computers.
You brought up the fact that we supported Bin Laden and other notable bad guys awhile back, I thought about that all night and thought about Joseph Stalin, who was responsible for killing at least 40 million people during his reign, yet us and all of our allies aligned themselves with this guy during WWII.. It is an example of how you do what you have to at the time.
Sorry for dragging this topic on, I respect everyone here and everyones points of view, thats the great thing about America
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

One nice thing is that i can be friends and like people with differnt political views. So no worries. but i think its a good time to drop the topic yes. The last thing thats going to happen is me stop talking to you and Bio.
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

AAwwww.... look, they kissed and made up! :goodman:

I found reading this topic very interesting. Being only 21, I didn't have the background to effectively comment on this discussion... so I stayed out of it. Unfortunately, I know of situations like capper described about losing friends from political discussions... its sad.

I never realized that this thread would take off like it did when I posted the news about Regan's death, but like I said, I found it very interesting, and thank everyone for sharing their point's of view.
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I really don't enjoy getting into heated debates on political discussions as a rule either, just gets to many prople upset. I did get into it a little more than I normally would have, just a pretty strong subject for me......I don't hold it against anyone though........it's a free country and anyone can think what they like......... :shock: That's why I joined the military........to defend that right.

The man is now dead and buried, so now everyone can go on with their lives. God Bless him and his family. And God Bless our wonderful country and the men and women that defend it everyday so we can have discussions like this one......... :D
LVCapo
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by LVCapo »

...and thank god the networks can now move on and cover something else. It was sad, it was historic, but 24/7 Ronald Reagan really wasn't news.