who here knows lenses?

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

who here knows lenses?

Post by DragonFury »

I have a Canon 10.1MP Rebel XS EOS camera. Now I am trying find some information out on a teleconverter to see what lenses it will fit..

Since I lost my 18/200mm zoom lens, due to an accident, I been stuck with the original 18/55mm zoom lens that comes with this camera, and using it is starting to drive me bananas. I am planning on picking up a 55/250mm telephoto lens from canon HERE and I want to know if this teleconverter HERE is compatible with the lens i listed. Having a capability of cheaply reaching out to 500mm zoom would be a nice touch for some of the shots I like to do. I cant find any information on what cna and what cannot be used with this teleconverter.
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: who here knows lenses?

Post by vbironchef »

Looks like it will work to me.
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

Hmm odd the link for the 55/250 goes to a 70/300...

This is the lens I am looking at here

If I have to I will go get the tameron 70/300 mm macro lens while macro is enabled I can boost that lens to 480mm then use a tele on it to boost it farther.
Mini ME
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

It's all about you get what you pay for. You have a good camera. I don't buy tele converters because they require a lot of light to work properly. A very quick f stop would help with the telecoverter I suppose. I would look at a lens that has a faster f stop, something like a f2.5 but you will have to pay up for it. Maybe this lens? Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/can ... 6_is_c16/4 It's really how much you want to spend. dpreview gives some good advice. Hope this helps. :)
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

If you are not doing professional work, normal lenses will do just fine. I still use some low end Quantaray 100-300 lens I had with our old Canon Rebel that tool film - FILM I say!

I have a Canon t3i and have been looking for a teleconvertor also but I get discouraged when i read taht some of them only work with the same manufacturer's lenses that makes the teleconvertor.

I will be interested if you get one and how it works for you. Also if it works with other manufacturer's lenses or not.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

Well i found out some interesting news, the 55/250mm Canon lens I am looking at uses a EF-S mount, which from what I can gather canon moved the back part of the rear lens closer to the sensor vs the EF mounts. Here is a bit more info.
The EF-S lens mount is a derivative of the EF lens mount created for a subset of Canon digital single-lens reflex cameras with APS-C sized image sensors. It was released in 2003. Cameras supporting the EF-S mount are backward-compatible with the EF lens mount and, as such, have a flange focal distance of 44.0 mm. Cameras supporting EF-S, however, have more clearance, allowing lens elements to be closer to the sensor than in the EF mount. Only Canon cameras with the APS-C sized sensor released after 2003 support the EF-S mount.
And looking at the Tamron Teleconverter it supports EF style of mounts, so I wont be able to use any EF-S mounts with that teleconverter :(. The only other option I have is to goto a tameron 18/200 or a 70/300 macro EF mount but then I lose image stabilization from the 55-250 canon lens.
Mini ME
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

Well I gotten the 55-250mm EF-S lens in last friday, I will have to say I am somewhat impressed with it, considering i only paid 200 bones for it. the biggest problem I am facing with the lens is that it does not do so well in low light situations ](*,) at least not as good as my past 18-200mm lens I had.

So I am going to use this lens for now and when i can pick up a L series lens from cannon that will have a decent reach, and great low light capabilities I am looking for. Just it wont have the IS feature because of cost restraints, but having a wide aperture of 2.8 through out the entire zoom will make the lens fast enough on the aperture enabling me to hold the lens steady in semi low light situations.
Mini ME
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

AFter playing around with this lens, it is not that bad of one. SOme of the issues I see are a small barrel distortion while @ 55mm, but slowly fades away and becomes pincushion at the 250mm. It is minor, depends on your personal tastes I can live with it. It also has some vignetting (dark edges), but can be fixed easily through either Canon's DPP, or Adobe Photoshop Light room 3+ programs (Adobe has a feature that will correct both barrel distortion and vignetting easily). The IS is what I call very good as I can get steady images @ 250mm while using a 1/4 shutter speed. if you using a tripod, and taking pictures that are still there is no limit what you can achieve, if doing sports and fast moving objects use a lot of light or use a flash.

For 200 USD for a lens it does quite well.

some Sample pictures I have taken with this lens on a 10.1 MP EOS Rebel XS camera

Here is the lens itself

Mini ME