Really Good/Low Cost Bookshelf Speakers

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
sgkean
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Really Good/Low Cost Bookshelf Speakers

Post by sgkean »

Looking to replace a pair of floor standing Polk Audio speakers, think they were like $150 each on sale with a pair of bookshelf speakers. Just started thinking about it, so not done any research yet, was just curious if anybody had any suggestions?

What I'm looking for is recommendations on:
2 Bookshelf (Front) speakers
Subwoofer (need to get one finally LOL)
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Really Good/Low Cost Bookshelf Speakers

Post by sbohdan »

I have a set of these Martin Logans and they do sound wonderfull. No distortion and the base defies the size! The original MSRP price was $999 for this set but you can get them now for $247 - you can't beat this deal and they certainly are way better than any Polk speakers.

http://www.amazon.com/Martin-Logan-MLT- ... r+speakers

The MLT-2 is also a very good deal: Down from $1200 to just $349 : http://www.amazon.com/MartinLogan-MLT-2 ... r+speakers
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

http://store.sony.com/WFS/SNYUS/en_US/- ... fgod71kARQ

i am currently using a pair of these on my system.
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

Sony doesn't even come close to Martin Logans. Martin Logan is a High End speaker company, that specializes on speakers and even though these little ones are low end models from them, they still are better then Sony's best. Sony is just a commercial company and they do not specialize on speakers - in fact, their speakers just plain suck,so nothing to compare here. Like comparing Rolls Royce and a VW Bettle :)
He also said, he wants a subwoofer as well, not just a pair of speakers.
Main rig: NZXT Phantom modded case with Danger Den WC, Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite, Ryzen 5800X @ stock, 32GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36-1T, AMD RX 5700XT + AlphaCool WC, ACER Nitro XV2 27", SP 1TB nvme PCiE GEN3, Samsung 2TB; Cooler Master MW Gold 650W, Win10 Pro 64
my complete GFX tuneup & cooling mod: http://forums.legitreviews.com/viewtopi ... highlight=
sgkean
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by sgkean »

Thanks for the thoughts, never heard of Martin Logan before, will have to check into it. I've had Sony speakers before and they do a decent job, just not sure on the bass reproduction without a sub, so would still have to add a sub there. With the ML set it's a full system. Also found out when reconnecting the system yesterday the positive connector on the center channel busted, got it to work for now, but obviously have to replace that one now too :(
sbohdan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by sbohdan »

sgkean wrote:Thanks for the thoughts, never heard of Martin Logan before, will have to check into it. I've had Sony speakers before and they do a decent job, just not sure on the bass reproduction without a sub, so would still have to add a sub there. With the ML set it's a full system. Also found out when reconnecting the system yesterday the positive connector on the center channel busted, got it to work for now, but obviously have to replace that one now too :(

You did not hear about them, because Martin Logan is a high-end audiophile company, not a commercial one like Sony. Same reason as why you never see a Rolls Royce ad in the media - those who have the money will buy it anyway. Martin Logan specializes in electrostatic loudspeakers but they are also great with subwoofers. Their most expensive speakers right now are the CLX Art. A pair costs $25.500 and they are worth every penny. You should just get the deal I showed you 'till it lasts and feel lucky you can own a set of Martin Logans even if it is their least expensive set. You will not regret it! As for the sub: The best subwoofers in the world are made by Velodyne but Martin Logan is about as good.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

I'm no pedo, err... audiophile but apparently Monoprice sells good/CHEAP speakers. I've seen nothing but good things about their headphones so I imagine that whoever is making their audio gear knows what they are doing.
Bookshelf Speakers
Powered Subwoofers

Please don't scoff at my selection, like I said I'm not an audio person. No I can't tell the difference between a FLAC file and a MP3 file.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

Don't get swayed by hi-end audio stuff, it does sound great but once you get hooked into this stuff the sound quality is never good enough. You will be eating TV dinners for the next decade in your sitting room, no furniture or TV; only a kickass hifi to look at ;-)

What's important to you, clear midrange for music or heavy bass for gaming? You will have to sacrifice one for the other unless you're willing to spend <$300. Good midrange is most important as the human ear can't hear the extreme end of the range from the high & low frequencies.

I would also only buy new as 2nd hand speakers are a big risk. While they might sound great when you get them, speakers have a limited lifespan, unless you buy audiophile class

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DragonFury »

Granted sony's are not classified as high end you are correct about that. And yes they are lot better alternatives out there, MTX, JL, you know speakers that typically cost 500-1000 bucks for a set of them. But when it all comes down to it, no matter how good your speakers are, if you not running a good amplifier or receiver your speakers are not going to sound right no matter what you do or have... I am running a JVC Receiver that is considered one of the top of the line, and I dont have much problems with sound reproduction. Could be slightly better, but I am content with my system.
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....
sgkean
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by sgkean »

I see the Monoprice set is getting good reviews from a few places, for the price difference (about $100) It's hard to decide LOL Still have time to decide, going to look into building some shelves this summer and figured replace the floor speakers with bookshelf ones to conserve space and look better.

Thanks for the input guys :)