Charter Internet

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Charter Internet

Post by Kaos Kid »

Has anyone local (St Louis) had a change in their Charter Internet service? It seems that since they have been blitzing with their "false" commercials about how cheap their TV and 100Mbit Internet are my internet speeds have dropped to the high 50s...(I'm paying $181 for no movie channels as a triple bundle, yet they advertise it for half as much to "new" customers :evil: ). I am about to cancel the TV part, but I'd hate to lose the broadband...
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Charter Internet

Post by Apoptosis »

They've raised my rates up too after the 12 month promo ends that they talk about and advertise.

I've read and checked with Charter and confirmed that if you cancel services for 5 weeks you are considered a new customer. When you sign back up you'll be eligible for all the current promotions.

So, basically you need to purge yourself of charter for five weeks. I have a 4G LTE hotspot for all the traveling I do and an HD antenna to get local OTA channels. Netflix has a free one month trial, so I think I'll do that in my 5 weeks of no charter.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Tough for us. My wife DEMANDS access to Cardinals broadcasts which we can only get through a cable or satellite provider. I could do without cable TV for that time, also using an antenna. I could never go five weeks without internet though, so we are stuck. The stupid thing about the situation is that if we quit Charter for 5 weeks and go to a satellite provider and sign a contract, Charter will pay up to $500 to get us out of the contract to resign with them...why not just work with us now and save themselves the $500 buyout? I have been with Charter through thick and thin since 1984 but they are really screwing the pooch this time, and I am an elephant that "never forgets"...
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Kaos Kid wrote:The stupid thing about the situation is that if we quit Charter for 5 weeks and go to a satellite provider and sign a contract, Charter will pay up to $500 to get us out of the contract to resign with them...why not just work with us now and save themselves the $500 buyout? I have been with Charter through thick and thin since 1984 but they are really screwing the pooch this time, and I am an elephant that "never forgets"...

Interesting, but you'd have to get a dish installed and holes drilled in your house to go that route. Too bad your wife is that into baseball as it's just the regular season.
To qualify for contract buyout program order and install a qualifying new customer Triple Play Promotion or limited Double Play promotion (Note offers not available in all areas). A copy of the final bill from previous provider with early termination fees clearly marked and completed in addition to the 'Charter Contract Buyout Form' are required to qualify for the contact buyout program. Upon receipt of the forms and verification of eligibility, a check in the amount equal to the early termination fee charged by your previous provider on your final bill (not to exceed $500), will be mailed to your Charter service address. Contract buyout forms must be received by Charter within 60 days of installation of the Charter Triple Play or 2 weeks from the date listed on the competitor's final bill statement, whichever is later. Contract Buyout form can be found at https://www.charter.com/mycheck.
Follow Me on Twitter!
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Yeah, I'm sort of stuck until I can talk her into going off the baseball sauce for the first of the season. The pisser is I am TIRED of the commercials that say there are no HD and Hardware fees (my bill shows $10/mo for HD and $28/mo for set top boxes that aren't even DVRs) so right now I am paying roughly twice what the "new customer" is offered ie: $90/mo bundle vs $180/mo bundle (with NO movie channels).
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Satellite is the same way with bills going up and up and up....and Dish SUX! I loved Directv but when we moved in with my father-in-law he is a long time Dish user so we had to go to Dish....Equipment sux, signal strength sux, customer service sux, and dont get me started on the hopper BS!

So if you do go to Sat, snag DirecTV! I would get DirecTV over any cable provider as long as I could get DSL or Fios....hell dial up may be faster than what we have some days here in the boonies LOL
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

It all sucks, doesn't matter the carrier.

I hated my time with Direct, but that was early late 90's early 2000's. Had Charter couple years before that, then moved to BFE in 2003 had Dish since. Loved the standard def hardware, could be storming its ass off and I still had signal. This HD crap we just moved to it sucks, mainly due to signal. When the installer says "oh, 70% strength, that's pretty strong signal" I told him we had 90+ on the old stuff, his look was priceless. Talked to the neighbors across the road and they have Direct and they have the same issues, finally move up to HD and doesn't work worth a crap due to signal. I'm 7 miles past Charters service cutoff so satellite is all I got, don't get me started on internet service.

The hopper was hard to get used to at first, took a couple week to drill it into the kids that they just cant record everything as there is only 3 tuners. It would be awesome with out the kids :lol: , but sharing it with a whole house it can get a little hard not to step on toes. Tuesday's in the fall is the worst night for recording stuff.

Heard the other day that Charter is looking to buy Time Warner, tow companies with some of the worst customer service records merging. ](*,)
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

bubba wrote:Heard the other day that Charter is looking to buy Time Warner, tow companies with some of the worst customer service records merging. ](*,)
Charter customer service has always been great. The issue I've had with them is that their field technicians suck. If you go into the local O'Fallon or St. Peters Charter Communications office the service is usually superb. I've been on charter since 2002 and never once had a problem in the retail locations swapping out hardware, getting an adjustment on my bill, changing addresses, scheduling services or anything.
Follow Me on Twitter!
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

Yeah I do have to admit the folks at the Winghaven location are nice and helpful. It's the price gouging from Corporate I am fed up with, charging 30-year customers twice as much as "new" business.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Kaos Kid wrote:I am fed up with, charging 30-year customers twice as much as "new" business.
When Charter stopped giving discounts after the reorganization we should have bought stock in the company.

They went from $34.50 to nearly $200 a share since that happened in 2009.
chtr-stock.png
In March of 2009 Charter Communications filed for bankruptcy, and emerged from Chapter 11 in November of last year -- minus about $8 billion of Charter's then $21 billion debt load. Things continue to normalize for the troubled company, Charter announcing they've been relisted on NASDAQ under the symbol "CCMM." "To resume trading on NASDAQ is an important and meaningful milestone for Charter," said Mike Lovett, President and Chief Executive Officer in a statement. "Through the hard work and discipline of the entire Charter team, we've made significant strides to enhance our products and services, expand our commercial business, and continue to improve customer care."
Hard to believe that they had $21 billion in debt and went from Bankruptcy to spending $56 billion on a company six years later.
Follow Me on Twitter!
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

The ONLY reason that my Spectrum TV hasn't been cancelled is that the old lady HAS to have access to Cards games every day, so basically we are paying almost $100/mo just for Fox Sports Midwest (and it's alternate channels). Give me another way to get Fox Sports that has a dependable signal and I'm gone...
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Last time I used Charter personally was in the 90's, is was horrible CS, service went out all the time, and the service tech's were sketchy.

Looked at their fiber service for work, didn't get past the proposal steps before my boss shot it down for his crap experience with them.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

Kaos Kid wrote:The ONLY reason that my Spectrum TV hasn't been cancelled is that the old lady HAS to have access to Cards games every day, so basically we are paying almost $100/mo just for Fox Sports Midwest (and it's alternate channels). Give me another way to get Fox Sports that has a dependable signal and I'm gone...
I learned there is also a $30 one time connection fee for new customers, so anyone planning on stopping service for five weeks or getting new service under another name with no wait will need to pay that. I guess some people are canceling service and switching to the other partner in the relationship. Charter doesn't know who is divorced or married, so you can bypass the 5 week wait to become a new customer with this simple trick. You'l have to disconnect service and turn all your stuff in and then get the other person to go up and sign up for service and schedule an install date.
Follow Me on Twitter!
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

Apoptosis wrote:
Kaos Kid wrote:The ONLY reason that my Spectrum TV hasn't been cancelled is that the old lady HAS to have access to Cards games every day, so basically we are paying almost $100/mo just for Fox Sports Midwest (and it's alternate channels). Give me another way to get Fox Sports that has a dependable signal and I'm gone...
I learned there is also a $30 one time connection fee for new customers, so anyone planning on stopping service for five weeks or getting new service under another name with no wait will need to pay that. I guess some people are canceling service and switching to the other partner in the relationship. Charter doesn't know who is divorced or married, so you can bypass the 5 week wait to become a new customer with this simple trick. You'll have to disconnect service and turn all your stuff in and then get the other person to go up and sign up for service and schedule an install date.
Thats interesting!
Does anyone have any pricing after the initial 12mos.?
I'm on Uverse and its outrageous! I'm at $240+ p/m and thats with no phone!
ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
AMD 3400G - 32G GSkill RipJaw V - {Win10} Pro 64bit, Win11 Update
Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT 240mm AIO Cooler
Corsair RM750X PSU - Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB SSD
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor - Lepai 2x20W Amp - Dayton B652 Spkrs

Corsair 4000D Airflow
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

It goes up the the current rates...

12-month promo price for new customers for internet is $29.99 per month... After that I know it's $59.99 per month.

There are too many bundles for me to know them all, but if you call and ask they'll tell you the off promo price because they have to by law.
Follow Me on Twitter!