Bubba

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Bubba

Post by camaroguy1998 »

Happy Bday Bubba!
ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
AMD 3400G - 32G GSkill RipJaw V - {Win10} Pro 64bit, Win11 Update
Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT 240mm AIO Cooler
Corsair RM750X PSU - Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB SSD
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor - Lepai 2x20W Amp - Dayton B652 Spkrs

Corsair 4000D Airflow
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Re: Bubba

Post by bubba »

:) :drinkers:
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

My present to myself this year... a 3D Printer.

Some may not know I build props and stuff with my son. I decided to step it up a notch this year and get a 3D printer, he doesn't know because I have in my office at work. Using it to make up birthday gifts for this year. Groot stuff for my daughter, and rebuilding Daft Punk helmets we made couple years ago for my son to make them more accurate.

A couple things I have printed... small baby Groot and baby Groot flower pot (thumb drive for scale)
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Nice birthday gift! Wanted one for years but always worried about setting it up, keeping it level, finding plastic, etc....oh and I cant draw either so I could print sticks :lol:
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
camaroguy1998
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by camaroguy1998 »

Thats pretty cool!
The things people are doing with 3D printers is incredible!
I like the Groot flower pot!
ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi)
AMD 3400G - 32G GSkill RipJaw V - {Win10} Pro 64bit, Win11 Update
Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT 240mm AIO Cooler
Corsair RM750X PSU - Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB SSD
ASUS 27" LED LCD monitor - Lepai 2x20W Amp - Dayton B652 Spkrs

Corsair 4000D Airflow
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

KnightRid wrote:Nice birthday gift! Wanted one for years but always worried about setting it up, keeping it level, finding plastic, etc....oh and I cant draw either so I could print sticks :lol:
they have come a LONG way in the last couple years. For 500-700 hobby range setup you can get one that doesn't need constant fiddling once setup. The truly expensive part is the filament. The good stuff is $30+ per 1kg roll, midrange US made $20 per 1kg roll, the budget stuff out of china is $15 per 1kg roll. The exotic stuff like nylon, flexible stuff, and copper/carbon fill filament is $$$.... and the new resin printers.. can get the hobby grade Form2 for around $3,500.

As for not being able to draw, not so much an issue with sites like Thingiverse and MyMiniFactory. Its where I got the models I have printed thus far. I'm working on designing my own enclosures for some Raspberry Pi and Arduino projects.

Whats funny is I have had this setting and chugging away in the corner of my office for little over a month now. Darn near everyone in my office has seen it, and a few still come by daily to watch the thing run. They set and stare at it like its black magic or something, and we have CNC machines in the shop... guess they are intrigued by the fact its adding not subtracting to get the part...
-Thomas Jefferson
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

bubba wrote: Whats funny is I have had this setting and chugging away in the corner of my office for little over a month now. Darn near everyone in my office has seen it, and a few still come by daily to watch the thing run. They set and stare at it like its black magic or something, and we have CNC machines in the shop... guess they are intrigued by the fact its adding not subtracting to get the part...
You should charge for calming therapy/spa services.

I would like the ability to scan objects in 3d also with better detail than I have seen. Still amazing what you can get and print, like you said!
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Benly
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by Benly »

Woah! I am thinking of getting a 3d printer too. Any good suggestions? :)
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

The Powerspec 3D Pro I have has done quite well.

Going down in cost is the Monoprice Marker Select Plus, do the mosfet mod to ensure there is no failures to the electronics.

Going up in cost, Prusa Mark II, Utilimaker 2

REALLY going up in cost Formlabs Form 2

I would also highly recommend Simplify 3D slicing software, not cheap at $150, but has taken a LOT out of the learning curve frustration. These are not magical, they require some attention to get running perfectly.

on the handy side and think you can handle the tinkering to get one running, build one, Marker Farm Pegasus, Folger Tech FT-5 or 2020, SeeMeCnC Rostock Max v3.
-Thomas Jefferson
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

bubba wrote: Going down in cost is the Monoprice Marker Select Plus, do the mosfet mod to ensure there is no failures to the electronics.
I was looking at that one and the Maker Select 3D Printer 2 - from what I have been reading, the Plus does NOT need the MOSFET mod but the 2 does. Seems they put a new version of the Melzi board in the Plus which fixes the problem.

I am getting this information from here - https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/com ... he_mosfet/
[–]Spaceman510 1 point 2 months ago

Little out of the loop here. I was considering getting a v2 later this year, but hearing about this recurring issue makes me concerned about running prints overnight/ away from home. Yeah, I keep hearing "get the MOSFET!" but my question is: does the new MP Maker Select Plus also face these issues?

(Edit: also, is there a specific cause to this?)

permalinkembed

[–]Luminaerys 6 points 2 months ago

AFAIK, the Maker Select Plus does not.

A lot of people say the root cause is the heated bed output terminals on the Melzi board, but this is actually inaccurate. Adafruit did an analysis where they claim that the actual issue is the traces on the board being too thin to carry the amount of current they are.

Unfortunately, their fix is a new version of the Melzi board, which most of us can't (or don't want to) do.