Ditching Cable

A place to rant about politics, life, or just anything you damn well feel like telling others.
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Ditching Cable

Post by Kaos Kid »

I've pretty much had it with Spectrum TV, tired of their high prices for less channels. I'm keeping the high speed internet though, so I was wondering what other services you folks use instead of cable/satellite. I saw an article on FUBO TV that looked promising, my only requirement is that it get Fox Sports Midwest, FS1, and FS2 so my son and I can watch Blues Hockey. Everything else the kids and I watch can be accessed online for n/c. I also have never used the latest gadgets to get the services, such as Firestick, Chromecast, etc. I will need service for 3 TVs, so I guess 3 separate devices. Which one gives the most bang for the buck with the smallest learning curve? Thanks for your opinions.
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll:
KnightRid

Re: Ditching Cable

Post by KnightRid »

Sorry, I have satellite because our internet could never handle streaming.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-footba ... rd-cutting

Seems Playstation Vue allows you to use the Fox Sports GO to watch stuff but some areas may not be covered.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

I know a few people have switched to streaming. Most are using combinations of Amazon Prime, Netflix, Playstation Vue, and Kodi.

The difficulty is the sports. If you want sports, you can go the kodi route and take a chance with the sketchy live streams, most come from outside of the country. The legit streaming options are tied to a cable provider.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

I always have in the back of my mind - what if they ever allow your ISP to charge for data ;) Ours does, in the USA!
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

I think data caps for internet are stupid. Friend has a satellite connection because he lives in the middle of no where. He is limited to 10GB a month. My daughter can do that in a week because 99% of what she watches is streamed content. Only 2 shows she watches on broadcast TV and that only because she can't stand the app for Fox. Even those she DVRs them to skip commercials. All my boy watches is streamed.

Hell I'm looking to move closer to town just so I can get a cable connection. The 10Mbs DSL I have is painful, me and my boy can't even play Rust at the same time. Some nights I get a 300+ ping to a server in less than 30 miles from me ](*,)
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Kaos Kid wrote:I've pretty much had it with Spectrum TV, tired of their high prices for less channels. I'm keeping the high speed internet though, so I was wondering what other services you folks use instead of cable/satellite. I saw an article on FUBO TV that looked promising, my only requirement is that it get Fox Sports Midwest, FS1, and FS2 so my son and I can watch Blues Hockey. Everything else the kids and I watch can be accessed online for n/c. I also have never used the latest gadgets to get the services, such as Firestick, Chromecast, etc. I will need service for 3 TVs, so I guess 3 separate devices. Which one gives the most bang for the buck with the smallest learning curve? Thanks for your opinions.

Ran across this today. $35 a month, who knows how long YouTube will keep it up, but has all the sports https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/
-Thomas Jefferson
Kaos Kid
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Kaos Kid »

hmmm that looks interesting, there's a Blues Hockey game on tomorrow night I may try the free trial to see how good the fox sports streams are, it says that all three are included but I won't count on that until I see it in action. I can set it up on my HTPC first and if that works buy google chromecast sticks for my tvs ( I would need three since none are smartTVs ;( ) . Thanks for the heads up!

edit: Damn! the only channel missing that we would have to have is Cartoon Network, gotta have Adult Swim. Still worth checking out though
I have come to the conclusion that "FaceBook" should be renamed "FacePalm" :roll: