Portal 2 CTD Randomly

A place to rant and rave about all the current gaming titles!
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Portal 2 CTD Randomly

Post by Major_A »

I've been playing Portal 2 and it's been frustrating. When it first came out it was about as stable as a bowl of snot. After a few updates it stopped crashing and I could play for as long as I wanted (GTX 260). Since then I upgraded my storage system and video card (GTX 460). I reinstalled Windows, reinstalled Portal 2 and it's back to crashing like crazy. Sometimes I can load the game, take one step and it will CTD. I have tried enabling the Portal 2 executable to run as an Administrator, still crashes. Any ideas?
DragonFury
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Portal 2 CTD Randomly

Post by DragonFury »

I also had this CTD while I played this game but I managed to muddle my way through it. It could be the drivers from nvidia, or have you tried downclocking the system? some valve games do not respond well to overclocking. you could uninstall portal 2 completely and just install the game with out the updates and see if it crashes again.
Mini ME
Is in a state of flux....
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Portal 2 CTD Randomly

Post by Major_A »

Came here to add an update. I reset the clocks on my video card (not that it was highly overclocked) and all is well again. Or so far at least. Been playing for about 45 minutes and no crashes.

As always thanks for the input DragonFury.