Planetside 2

A place to rant and rave about all the current gaming titles!
egloeckle
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Planetside 2

Post by egloeckle »

Anyone else playing?

Mattherson Vanu here...

Edit: Character name: Sytek
Feel free to add me, I am in the outfit "The Vindicators (-V-) which runs pretty much constant platoons. Let me know if you are looking for an outfit and ill get you the info to go put in an app.
KnightRid

Re: Planetside 2

Post by KnightRid »

I thought about trying it but figured it is the same as all those other online massive game things. They sucker you in saying it is free but to actually compete with anyone you have to spend money.

Am I wrong? If so I may try it.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
thunderbug
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by thunderbug »

KnightRid wrote:I thought about trying it but figured it is the same as all those other online massive game things. They sucker you in saying it is free but to actually compete with anyone you have to spend money.

Am I wrong? If so I may try it.
Tbh i think this is one of the very few free games where u can actually play for free.

The most important things are Cert points used to upgrade your character and add attachments like scopes to guns and u only get these by playing the game, u cant buy them.

Also all guns seem to be equally lethal, they just tend to have different characteristics like more accuracy, less power or more power, lower rate of fire etc. But i dont think any gun is better than another its all what your prefer, so u dont need to buy these either. and they can also be unlocked with certs.

I have spent cash on the game but none of my friends i play with have and they dont get killed or kill people any more than i do really.

But as a simple answer lol - no u can play for free and be as effective as a someone who paid cash for guns.
egloeckle
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by egloeckle »

It is actually free. Things you can pay for:

Weapons (can be unlocked by cert points earned in game instead of RL cash)
Camo
Trinket items (this includes hubcaps for some of the vehicles, hood ornaments for the air vehicles, and other random stuff that really doesnt do much)

Premium Account (this gives you increased XP and resource gain (resources are used to buy vehicles and such in game, resource gain is minimal enough where the main reason for premium is XP gain)

To actually increase the ability of any weapon or ability on your character you must use Cert points gained via XP (~250xp = 1 cert I believe, they changed it a few times in beta so im not sure what they settled on).

So yeah, this is a game where it is possible to compete without paying anything though it will take you longer to get certain things. Weapons dont make as big of a deal as you would think, they are similar enough where they arent game changing in most situations (missiles on aircraft are one of the very few exceptions as there are none by default). The big thing in this game is running around solo will get you absolutely destroyed. Get in an outfit and regular squads/platoons and it makes all the difference, most outfits are pretty lax on recruiting requirements (most only require teamspeak as in-game voice is terrible).

If you decide to play on Mattherson as Vanu feel free to send "Sytek" a message and ill add you to my friends list and give you the website info for the outfit I'm in. There has been at least a squad if not a whole platoon up every time I have logged in and with I think 1000+ members I dont see that letting up anytime soon.

Edit: oh and what server/faction are you on Thunderbug?
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Cool, I may have to give this a try!

I do have my fingers crossed that it is not as lame as World of Warcraft though. That game looks crappy, plays crappy and the 99% of the people in it are crappy.

Will let you know when i have a chance to get it and play.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
egloeckle
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by egloeckle »

Just be aware that the graphics in PS2 arent as "realistic" as something like BF3 or the more recent CoD's. Do realize that you will get into fights where 300+ (lots of times way more) people are all fighting over a single base which really beats on lesser machines (though the game is mostly CPU bound currently).
prozac26
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by prozac26 »

I will get some time this weekend. Been super busy.

VANU!!!!!!!
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

Matheson Vanu here too.
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit