The Official SMP Installation Thread

Here you can find out about our Folding Team! Our goal: to understand protein folding, protein aggregation, and related diseases
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Official SMP Installation Thread

Post by dicecca112 »

The SMP client is the only client that takes advantage of dual/quad core cpus to there fullest potential. No longer is there a need to have more than one instance of F@H to take advantage of all the cores your CPU possesses. But there are some warnings and general thoughts here.

1. SMP WU unit deadlines are extremely tight. They range from 1 day at the minimum, to 4 at the maximum. An average C2D can perform a frame in 22minutes on the hardest WUs. I suggest that in order to fold these work units you fold at least 10hrs a day at a minimum, or you will miss the deadline.

2. Remember these are beta clients, they are extremely stable, but you can encounter problems with the client. All are documented, and the most common ones, have easy fixes. Don't hesitates to post here.

3. The reward on these WUs is huge. The largest WUs are 1760pointers and range to 700-800points. You can produce very large PPDs in a very short time, adding a tremendous boost to the team.

4. Almost any 64bit OS will work for Linux. This guide uses Ubuntu and not all steps will apply to every OS.

5. Has been tested with Ubuntu 8.04 Server x64 and Windows XP

Windows Installation with Windows Client

Download the client from here http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegrou ... -mpich.exe and install it

Follow the directiond below for your OS
Quick install for Windows XP and 2000

Install the Microsoft .NET framework v2.0 before installing the SMP client. Next, run the self-extracting installer to choose an installation directory and install the files there. Then run install.bat in the installation directory to complete the install process. Running the fah.exe binary starts the client. More detailed instructions are at the bottom of this page. The quick version is:

1. Make sure .netframework 2.0 is installed
2. Make sure you have an account with a password set up (FAH SMP on Windows won't work if your account doesn't have a password associated with it).
3. Install FAH SMP client
4. Run install.bat file
5. Run fah.exe
Quick install for Windows Vista

The .NET framework v2.0 is not needed (it is already installed). Run the self-extracting installer to choose an installation directory and install the files there. Then run install.bat in the installation directory to complete the install process. Running the fah.exe binary starts the client. More detailed instructions are at the bottom of this page. The quick version is:

1. Make sure .netframework 2.0 is installed
2. Make sure you have an account with a password set up (FAH SMP on Windows won't work if your account doesn't have a password associated with it).
3. Install FAH SMP client
4. Run install.bat file
5. Run fah.exe

Now install the Update from here http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegrou ... update.zip
The installation process is a little complicated. PLEASE READ BELOW.
1. The initial release is a *replacement* for your current 5.91 SMP client. We will have a fresh install version soon.
2. Make a backup of a working FAH Windows/SMP installation. Install into your current SMP working directory
3. Unzip the 5.92 file in your test directory
4. Open a command prompt window (run as administrator if Vista)
5. run install.bat. This will do several things
.. a) install DeinoMPI. You don't need to do anything special here
.. b) In the terminal window, you will be prompted to create a "credential store" that DeinoMPI will use to authenticate the mpi processes. Important: do not use a passphrase here (just hit return for no passphrase and say yes, you're sure). I recommend encrypting the data 'protected' and using the registry for storage.
.. c) add your user information to the encrypted credential store. This will prompt you for your username and password.
.. d) run the standard mpiexec -np 2 foo test application to make sure things work. On some WinXP systems, you may see a defective Windows Firewall dialogue box come up. The firewall may also ask you to unblock applications (this is a good idea).
Notes from the forum mods on the above process:
5.d) The Windows Firewall dialog box will pop up twice. The first time, you will be able to see and click Unblock for DeinoMPI. The second time, the pop up window is hosed. However, since the unblock button has a hot key, you can press alt+u to unblock the next item and make it go away. I checked my firewall exceptions list after unblocking both. The second pop up is for fahcore1.exe.
5.d.2) I found a different bypass. After having gotten the hosed windows many times in WinXP I went to Start + ControlPanel + SecurityCenter + WindowsFirewall. On the Exceptions tab I scrolled through the list of names, adding a checkmark to the appropriate boxes.
6. Start fah.exe as normal.
NOTE! - EMIII cannot read SMP units, so tracking does not work. Only FahMon works.

For the new 6.22 Install see here http://forums.legitreviews.com/about16873.html#p117577

Windows Installation with VMware

Basically follow the linux installation after you install VMWare Workstation. Its free from VMWare

1. Get Vmware here http://www.vmware.com/download/server/ Register to get your free Key

2. Download your distro of choice, I use Ubuntu

3. Install VMware

4. Create a VM

File - New Virtual Machine

Hit Next

Select Custom and Hit Next

Select Linux, and choice Ubuntu 64-bit

Hit next till you reach the screen that asks you home my processors to use, check 2 and hit net.

Allocate 512MB of ram at a minimum. I suggest half of your total ram.

Select that NAT option

Create a Virtual Disk

SCSI

Select a Disk size of 5-8GB. 5 is usually plenty

Creat the Disk

A new screen will pop up when the disk is done allocating

Then do the following
VMware server software is clever enough to mount an ISO as a virtual CD-ROM for your Virtual Machine to boot from, directly from your drive - meaning faster load times. To do this, edit your VM's CD-ROM options [click Edit Settings, highlight CD-ROM] and select 'Use ISO Image' instead of 'Host device'. Browse to the downloaded ubuntu 6.10 64bit desktop image you found earlier, and click ok.
Install Linux with the guide below

For those running 32bit Linux and emulating 64bit like me, watch out, Linux VMWare Software has a nasty little bug where it doesn't run full speed in your VM. My Core 2 Duo was running at 774Mhz and not the full 2GHZ. Apply the following fix
On a Linux host server:

To prevent guest clocks from running too quickly, specify the correct maximum host CPU speed in your global configuration file, /etc/vmware/config. If this file exists, edit it with a text editor, adding the lines described below. The file may not exist. If it does not exist, create it as a plain text file.

Add the following lines to your global configuration file:

host.cpukHz = "X" where "X" equals the maximum speed in KHz of your host machine. That is, its speed in MHz times 1000 or its speed in GHz times 1000000. A 3GHz machine would be 3000000.
host.noTSC = TRUE
ptsc.noTSC = TRUE

To periodically correct the time (once per minute) when a guest clock runs slowly, VMware Tools must be installed in the guest. On the Options tab of VMware Tools in the guest, verify that Time synchronization between the virtual machine and the host operating system is selected.

Native Linux Installation

For the Linux Installation, there is only one requirement for your choice of Linux. It must be a 64bit Version. My choice is Ubuntu, only because I have the most familiarity with it.

After you have installed and configured your distro to your liking, perform the following steps

1. Install the 32bit Librarys

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
kenc51 wrote:Most 64bit Linux distros come with the 32bit libraries installed by default. If you are using something other than a distro based on Debian (Ubuntu etc) and the command "sudo apt-get install ia32-libs" doesn't work, don't worry. This is probably because your distro hasn't got the "APT" package manager, also if you search to install ia32-libs and can't find it, don't worry.
2. Download and Configure the F@H SMP Client

mkdir -p ~/FAH
cd ~/FAH
wget http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/release/FAH6.02-Linux.tgz
tar xzf FAH6.02-Linux.tgz
./fah6 -configonly
Fill in your normal username, and our Team Number (38296). The rest of the options can be left at there default settings

3. Set Ubuntu so FAH automatically starts with Linux

Now I can't take credit for this step, I had to do a bit of research and stumbled across a guide at Rage3D

Fire open the terminal and type the followin

sudo nano /etc/rc.local
Then add the following line just before the line that says exit 0. Be sure to edit the user, to whatever username you use to log into windows

sudo sh -c "cd /home/user/FAH; ./fah6 -local -forceasm -verbosity 9 -smp"
4. Install your choice of Linux Monitoring program, FahMon is one that works well.

To install FahMon there are two ways, via a .deb file for Ubuntu or compile it yourself. FahMon has downloads for many distributions.

Look here for the Source and installation packages

http://fahmon.net/download.html

To Compile first download the dependencies

You need
G++
G++ 4.1
scons
libwxgtk2.6-0
libwxgtk2.6-dev

and all there associated dependencies

dowload the Tar

extract it and cd to the folder

type ./configure

then make

the sudo make install

If it compiles without errors, then type ./fahmon to run the program

***Thanks to Rage3D for there guide, they helped me figure out parts that I could have never on my own***
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Official SMP Installation Thread

Post by dicecca112 »

Thread has been cleaned and updated. Any issues please post
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

I believe the largest pointers are 2144pt (can't remember the project#) and 1920pt Project# 2665. My E6400 oc'd to 2.6 with 2gb ram, nothing else of significance running, 28min per step.

[21:53:49] Completed 115000 out of 250000 steps (46 percent)
[22:21:57] Writing local files
[22:21:57] Completed 117500 out of 250000 steps (47 percent)
[22:50:04] Writing local files
[22:50:05] Completed 120000 out of 250000 steps (48 percent)
[23:18:12] Writing local files
[23:18:12] Completed 122500 out of 250000 steps (49 percent)
[23:46:20] Writing local files
[23:46:21] Completed 125000 out of 250000 steps (50 percent)
[00:14:28] Writing local files
[00:14:28] Completed 127500 out of 250000 steps (51 percent)
[00:42:34] Writing local files
[00:42:35] Completed 130000 out of 250000 steps (52 percent)
[01:10:42] Writing local files
[01:10:42] Completed 132500 out of 250000 steps (53 percent)
[01:38:50] Writing local files
[01:38:50] Completed 135000 out of 250000 steps (54 percent)
[02:06:58] Writing local files
[02:06:58] Completed 137500 out of 250000 steps (55 percent)
[02:35:07] Writing local files
[02:35:07] Completed 140000 out of 250000 steps (56 percent)

That's on the current Project 2665. knocked me from 1665ppd on a 1760pt P2653 to 984ppd on this one.
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

Um isn't this supposed to be stickied?
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

Yes good catch, after I made sure I added any suggestions to the sticky, I copied and pasted the first message into a Gedit, and then deleted the thread. It was easier than deleting 2.5 pages of comments. Then I recreated it. Must have forgot to sticky it
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

When I overclocked my pc then rebooted I lost one of my folding. It went back to 0 so did I lose a half a day of folding?
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

yup you did. Add the forceasm flag, and this won't happen
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

dicecca112 , I would just like to thank you for all the hard work you are putting into Legit Reviews and Folding@Home. I don't think you get enough thank you's :) I for one think you do a great job!
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

i just have a quick question about this.. do you need to install the update for win XP also? or just for Vista?
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

Well I finally got VMWare running in Vista x64 though it was one really big headache to figure out...apparantly VM Server doesn't work correctly in Vista x64.

Anyway, here's how I did it:
In order to meet the deadlines of 3 to 4 days for SMP work units, you will need to run this client at least 10 hours per day. If you cannot do this, then please consider running a non-SMP client which have much longer deadlines. If you can do this, then great! Just follow each step carefully and make sure to read the footnotes!

This works on any version of Windows and on most multi-core processors.
  1. Download VMware Player 2.0.5 for Windows. You must register first.
    • Install VMware Player. Reboot if it prompts you to and then come back to this page.
      • Download the Ubuntu 7.10 amd64 VMware image. (770MB)
        • Make a new folder in My Documents called VMware and unzip this file there. Open the Ubuntu-7.10-desktop-amd64 folder you just unzipped.
          • Open the .vmx file in Wordpad and add numvcpus = "2" to the end of it. Also find where it says memsize = "[some number]" and change that number to the amount of ram you want to allocate; eg, I've allocated 1Gb of ram so that line reads memsize = "1024" for me. Save and close it. Now double-click the .vmx file. This will start VMware Player and Ubuntu will begin booting.
            • You should see a nice brown desktop. In the main menu, click Applications / Accessories / Terminal.
              • Download and Configure the F@H SMP Client

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
                mkdir -p ~/Fah
                cd ~/Fah
                wget http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/release/FAH6.02-Linux.tgz
                tar xzf FAH6.02-Linux.tgz
                echo "cd ~/Fah && ./fah6 -smp -advmethods -forceasm -verbosity 9" >> startfah
                chmod +x startfah
                ./fah6 -smp -configonly
                The password is ubuntu

Or for the lazy here is a one liner you can just copy and paste:

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs && mkdir -p ~/Fah && cd ~/Fah && wget http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/release/FAH6.02-Linux.tgz && tar xzf FAH6.02-Linux.tgz && echo "cd ~/Fah && ./fah6 -smp -advmethods -forceasm -verbosity 9" >> startfah && chmod +x startfah && ./fah6 -smp -configonly
                • Now close the terminal. Right-click the desktop and choose Create Launcher. Type in the information below.
                  • Type: Application in Terminal
                  • Name: Folding@home
                  • Command: /home/ubuntu/Fah/startfah
                • Now double-click Folding@Home
                Iconize is a great program to minimize VMplayer (and anything else) to the system tray.

For quad-cores:
                If you would like to utilize all four cores for Folding@Home instead of just two, you will need to exit VMware Player and rename the folder in My Documents/VMware to something else (like Ubuntu-7.10-desktop-amd64-2) and then repeat this guide starting at step 4. VMware Player only supports two virtual processors, so you will need to run two instances of VMware Player. Just be sure to set a different Machine ID in advanced options.
                Most of the info above was pulled directly from http://www.x64bit.net/site/board/index. ... topic=5232

Here's a guide to access your VMware SMP client (I actually wrote all of this one :P )
                In ubuntu, goto Places>Home Folder then right-click the Fah folder and click Share Folder
                It will prompt you to install some software, you only need the one entitled SMB
                Once that's installed goto System>Administration>Shared Folders and verify that the folder is shared
                Open a terminal window and run sudo smbpasswd -a ubuntu
                Be sure to set the password to ubuntu

Now in Windows, add a client to FahMon and tell it it's located at //UBUNTU/Fah/
                It should prompt you for a username and password, just use ubuntu for both

Your VMware SMP client should now show up in FahMon!
                Last edited by Alathald on Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
                dicecca112
                Site Admin
                Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

one little issue there Athalad, whats the password for the VM when running sudo?
                Alathald
                Legit Extremist
                Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

D'oh! Knew I was forgetting something! :axe:

Username: ubuntu
                Password: ubuntu
                dicecca112
                Site Admin
                Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

didn't matter to me, I just changed the root password in the recovery console
                stopthekilling77
                Legit Extremist
                Legit Extremist

Post by stopthekilling77 »

Finally got the MPICH SMP clientworking. I had misread a vital part, the E7200 @ 2.8Ghz should add some numbers to my PPD :D
                Cyberpower generic case
                B450M PRO-VDH MAX
                Ryzen 5 3600 w/PBO/OC
                CM Hyper 212 EVO push/pull
                Corsair VENGEANCE LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 CL16
                MSI RTX 3060 Ti Ventus 3X 8G OC LHR
                Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
                6GB Seagate HDD
                EVGA 650BQ 650W PSU
                ASUS VE278 27" monitor, Dell E2216HV (vertical)
                Logitech Z533 2.1 Speakers, G935 7.1 or G435 headset
                MS LXM-00001 keyboard
                Razer Deathadder Elite, XBOX One Lunar Shift controller

I've come a long way from my original Core2Duo E6750 build y'all! :supz:
                dicecca112
                Site Admin
                Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

nice job there althald, once I get some time, I believe your directions are easier, and I'm going to repalce mine with yours. I'm also thinking about creating a VM of ubuntu that is stripped down, not everything that can be is disabled in that 7.10 VM, not to mention 8.04 is the latest
                Alathald
                Legit Extremist
                Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

Yeah if I could get VMworkstation working I was going to do a stripped down image that already had Folding@Home installed and ready to go with the shortcuts on the desktop already. Then people could just download the image, pop it into the player and be folding right away. Alas, I can't get VMworkstation working on my computer so no image creation for me :(
                dicecca112
                Site Admin
                Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

Yeah supposedly its pretty idiot proof to create. I'm going to create a CLI Server Version, and a GUI version with everything set up.
                Alathald
                Legit Extremist
                Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

Look into just installing matchbox or iceWM on the server edition, one of those really small window managers, it only really needs a spot to put the shortcut if all people plan on doing is just folding in the VM. :drinkers:
                dicecca112
                Site Admin
                Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

server CLI Version is lighter, no need for a WM. I had a VM configured like that at some point. Once its setup, which I'll do there is no issue running it. Can just create an alias in the terminal like fah, and you just type that in, and it runs FAH
                FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

Matt, the first link in the OP is no longer valid.
                Joe