EVGA Pays its Folders

Here you can find out about our Folding Team! Our goal: to understand protein folding, protein aggregation, and related diseases
geokilla

EVGA Pays its Folders

Post by geokilla »

http://www.evga.com/folding/promo.asp

So how's going to fold for EVGA now? I'd like to switch just for the sake of getting cheaper GPUs. But I'd like to support LR as best as I can. Plus I'd have to tell my current folders who's folding for me to switch as well lol.
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.16V (CPU-Z + LinX)
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H F14 BIOS
ASUS GTX 460 768MB @ 800/1950
Kingston HyperX DDR3 8GB @ DDR-1333
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
Western Digital Black 1TB
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
skier

Re: EVGA Pays its Folders

Post by skier »

im considering this until i upgrade my video card to a GTX280 which will be LR only of course ;)
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Fold for our team :axe:

I don't see how its worth it... to get 100 EVGA bucks you have to fold 1M points in a year. Granted thats only ~2800 points a day, but I'd rather see it go to the team here rather than EVGA.

Drop a quarter a day into a jar you will have 91.25 at the end of a year, skip 1 energy drink a day for a year that's almost $780 bucks.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

hmmm, where'd my post go?

maybe mem leak... I mean, firefox ate it.
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

This is good for new folders who want an incentive, I just can't change teams now!
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

PSN: VICaphit
geokilla

Post by geokilla »

I can't change teams cus I got multiple people folding under my name. Plus, I'm in Canada so shipping is probably a bit on the high side. And don't forget that EVGA charges MSRP when you buy from their store, or was this policy changed?

Simply put. I won't leave Legit Reviews for a while. Though it is tempting....

@DaIceMan. What was your post?
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

DaIceMan wrote:hmmm, where'd my post go?

maybe mem leak... I mean, firefox ate it.
Happened to me a couple times on here ;)
geokilla wrote:I can't change teams cus I got multiple people folding under my name. Plus, I'm in Canada so shipping is probably a bit on the high side. And don't forget that EVGA charges MSRP when you buy from their store, or was this policy changed?

Simply put. I won't leave Legit Reviews for a while. Though it is tempting....

@DaIceMan. What was your post?
MSRP = WAY overpriced compared what you can get it for at newegg - I just dont think it is worth it. Legit Reviews pays people to fold too, with contests and with the knowledge of the people all over the forums that are willing to help constantly!! :partyman:

Mike
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I can't believe EVGA is doing this to be honest... I mean wtf - not the purpose of F@H.

1) from the looks of this 'deal' it takes a year in order to get your money...so don't get to excited or expect anything in 2009.
2) If you start in April 2009 you might get money in March 2010, but it seems its not money, but EVGA Bucks (Says ""EVGA Bucks are not redeemable for cash or credit.")
3) EVGA bucks cannot be used for the step-up program, EAR, or other exclusive EVGA programs.
4) At the bottom is says "EVGA reserves the right to change or cancel this promotion at any time without previous notice." So you could get the 'EVGA Bucks' and then they could cancel it or change it to like $20 EVGA bucks...
5) you have to reach milestones to make the 'bucks' (1,000,000: 60 EVGA Bucks, 500,000: 30 EVGA Bucks, 100,000: 10 EVGA Bucks)

It sadens me to see this happen.... First these companies cut advertising when the economy tanks, then they reduce the number of review samples, and now they start a F@H program that 'pays' people to fold for them... This is putting major pressure on sites like Legit Reviews, so if you like Legit Reviews please support Legit Reviews. Without our community we wouldn't be what we are, so we have to stick together to make it through these rough times. By supporting programs like this it's going to end up killing off review sites if you ask me... to be honest I know serveral sites that want to sell or close becuase they are losing money now that companies have cut all advertising. It's rough out there folks!
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I also just remember since this is an EVGA Bucks promotion you have to pay full price for a retail card direct from them... That makes little to no sense then as you all know the prices on retail sites like Newegg and TigerDirect are way less thanks to promotions and rebates.

blah that just ticks me off... I wonder if I can get another video card company to do a group buy on a card for us or something for an incintive for our folders.
Follow Me on Twitter!
GI-JOE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by GI-JOE »

Don't worry Nate. I doubt anyone to here would consider abandoning Legit Reviews! :)
-----------------------------------------------------
- CoolerMaster Elite 330
- Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 @ 3.16ghz (9.5 x 333 @ 1.12 volts)
- Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
- 4 GB G-Skill DDR2 800
- Asus 8800GT 512mb w/Glaciator Fansink
- Antec Trio TruePower 650w
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

GI-JOE wrote:Don't worry Nate. I doubt anyone to here would consider abandoning Legit Reviews! :)
It's not that... It's the fact that companies like EVGA going after current folders.... I mean the fact that F@H comes with ATI drivers is crazy as it is... then Team FTL inserted F@H with a game torrent and got thousands of folders that don't know wtf F@H even is... Now companies like EVGA are giving $100 'EVGA Bucks' in order to get a community going and boost sales. I'm glad big corporations are getting involved, but I don't think it is for the right reasons or for the good of the teams that have folded for nearly a decade.
Follow Me on Twitter!
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

EVGA is now producing more PPD than [H].

I hope they take the first place spot just to spite kyle. It will take a while though!
----
Andy

New Rig: Intel Q6600 (2.7ghz), ASUS P5KC, 4GB DDR2-800, Palit 9600GT (1GB), Ultra X3 1KW (thanks LR!), Vista 64bit
Dell Rig: AMD Athlon X2 4000+ (2.1ghz), 2 GB DDR2 Ram, MSI 8800GT (512MB), Vista 32bit

DX
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DX »

LOL not for a hundred bucks anyway =)
AMD 960T OC'ed to 4gz
ASRock 970 EXTREME4 AM3+ AMD 970
2 X G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)(16gb)
EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2682-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16
geokilla

Post by geokilla »

DX wrote:LOL not for a hundred EVGA bucks anyway =)
fixed :lol:
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
cardnyl
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by cardnyl »

Apoptosis wrote:I can't believe EVGA is doing this to be honest... I mean wtf - not the purpose of F@H.

1) from the looks of this 'deal' it takes a year in order to get your money...so don't get to excited or expect anything in 2009.
2) If you start in April 2009 you might get money in March 2010, but it seems its not money, but EVGA Bucks (Says ""EVGA Bucks are not redeemable for cash or credit.")
3) EVGA bucks cannot be used for the step-up program, EAR, or other exclusive EVGA programs.
4) At the bottom is says "EVGA reserves the right to change or cancel this promotion at any time without previous notice." So you could get the 'EVGA Bucks' and then they could cancel it or change it to like $20 EVGA bucks...
5) you have to reach milestones to make the 'bucks' (1,000,000: 60 EVGA Bucks, 500,000: 30 EVGA Bucks, 100,000: 10 EVGA Bucks)

It sadens me to see this happen.... First these companies cut advertising when the economy tanks, then they reduce the number of review samples, and now they start a F@H program that 'pays' people to fold for them... This is putting major pressure on sites like Legit Reviews, so if you like Legit Reviews please support Legit Reviews. Without our community we wouldn't be what we are, so we have to stick together to make it through these rough times. By supporting programs like this it's going to end up killing off review sites if you ask me... to be honest I know serveral sites that want to sell or close becuase they are losing money now that companies have cut all advertising. It's rough out there folks!
Actually you get access to the evga bucks right away. As soon as you hit a point total, if the points don't update you email the web master and get access to them. The rest of the concerns are indeed true though. No special evga programs, there is a chance, however how small it may be, that they revoke the program (of course this wouldn't affect anyone who had already hit a milestone, just folks who were mid way to the next one). They also handed out a ton of gear recently for getting to the top 10 overall teams. I think the reason why they back their EVGA program the way they do is because they see it as a win win for all involves, though I admit it seems like a bigger win for them overall. Even though one must pay retail price, if you intended to fold anyhow its better than getting absolutely nothing in return especially given how tight budgets are these days. I foresee a time when the electricity used can be written up as a tax deduction (perhaps it can? Any H&R Block employees etc. here who can comment?) and folks can return to a time when the choice to join a particular team was a matter of preference instead of necessity.

They aren't by any means the only team offering incentives to fold. I believe OCN was handing out a bounty of donated cash to the top folder in the world, in addition to their usual folding prize contests (which are organized by the individual folders themselves if I'm not mistaken). Team Longevity Meme Folding@Home has cash prizes for folding every few months as well. I am sure there are more I just haven't bothered to check around as much.

I am not sure what happens to all the review samples a site receives but you could very well sock it back to the mfg using a similar method if your allowed to keep what is sent. For example, set up a contest once a month with the prize being a review sample card. Set a milestone of PPD in a given month that is higher than what the team specifically puts out. If the team meets or breaks that PPD mark the card is given out at random, if it isn't the card is held and the milestone is kept until it can be broken. Once broken any cards being held are given out to the team chosen at random from the list of the teams active folders in the last X days. It would have about the same effect as the EVGA program and other incentive programs like it.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

We've tried that before, unfortunately people come over fold for us for the contest, win or not win the prize and then leave.
vicaphit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vicaphit »

Unfortunately, it is not easy to keep people folding for our team if they were already folding for someone else.

I was excited to see Happy1 flying through the ranks a month ago, but he disapeared.
----
Andy

InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

Couldn't we hold it for the people who are loyal LR folders? Like maybe the Top 30-40 folders. Not sure if that idea has been brought up or if it's even do-able. But I would think it gives incentive for a newb to stick around and a slacker to kick up the pace. Just a thought. Hopefully not too crazy of one
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

Tried it, didn't really work.
InspectahACE
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by InspectahACE »

ah ok..well damn those traitors!!!!
i9-9900k | ASUS Maximus XI Hero | ASUS Strix RTX 2070 Super | 32GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4-3600 | Cooler Master ML360L AIO | Seagate Firecuda 510 1TB NVME SSD | Tt ToughPower RGB 850W PSU | Sound Blaster Z | LL PC-O11 Dynamic | ASUS Gladius II Mouse | ASUS Strix Scope RX| ASUS VG259QMM 24" 240hz monitor | Windows 11 Pro