2,000,000 Points anyone?

Here you can find out about our Folding Team! Our goal: to understand protein folding, protein aggregation, and related diseases
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

well, here's something you probably haven't thought about: there was an article written by Rich not too long ago about OC'ing the X2 3800+ (long live the man 8) ), as seen here; when OC'd to 4800+ speeds, the performance is extremely close to that of a 4800+; all I would do is just get the 3800+ with a great cooling solution, and then buy me a few rounds for saving you all that money, roflol (kidding, heheheh, or am I :rolleyes: lol); but really though, unless that 4800 comes down in price rather drastically, I might actually look into OC'ing the 3800+ I'm getting.....just something to consider I guess, if you consider the 4800+ prices right now, as compared to getting a 3800+ and something like the XP-120 or XP-90C, or even a low-end watercooling setup.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

nah... Have a H2O setup already (just needs a 939 bracket for €15), so heats is not an issue!

I wouldn't get the 4800 but the 4400 is the next one down with 1mb cache on each core... Rich's review (fantastic as usual) was with a golden sample... I doubt AMD's yeilds are so good that all 3800's will clock so high, Remeber we are not the only people who read the review... everyone (like yourself) will be going for that cpu...it has it's cache cut in half...some intentionally... most to cover-up flaws...(thats the norm for intel too).. if the cpu had a faulty part of it's cache... then mayby it has probs with high vcore and freq?

Sorry to go on.. but i could never take "the chance" when it comes to pc parts...

What does your sig say Killswitch?? :) LOL
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

You know, you're right, I didn't even think about the error margin there; the 4400+ would be an excellent middle ground, with the dual 1 MB cache and the propensity to clock above the 4800+; I don't know what the 4400+ is running in price, but I might have to do a little reconsidering, but more than likely impatience will get the best of me and I'll end up with the 3800, lol. But, also knowing how I am about wanting quality parts, it'll be a stalemate until the price drops, or I might buy both!!! lol, dang computer electronics addiction, lol :rolleyes:

Note: did I tell you I was getting the Koolance Exos 2, Ken? I know it's pricy, but you reminded me of my own motto, rofl, so there ya go 8)
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

killswitch83 wrote:You know, you're right, I didn't even think about the error margin there; the 4400+ would be an excellent middle ground, with the dual 1 MB cache and the propensity to clock above the 4800+; I don't know what the 4400+ is running in price, but I might have to do a little reconsidering, but more than likely impatience will get the best of me and I'll end up with the 3800, lol. But, also knowing how I am about wanting quality parts, it'll be a stalemate until the price drops, or I might buy both!!! lol, dang computer electronics addiction, lol :rolleyes:
I feel your pain.. I only found out I was getting a nice few �� last Friday... By Friday night I was going to get a laptop...Now I'm deciding on a new pc... Eitherway... if I go X2 I have to get 2MB cache... otherwise it will always annoy me...
killswitch83 wrote: Note: did I tell you I was getting the Koolance Exos 2, Ken? I know it's pricy, but you reminded me of my own motto, rofl, so there ya go 8)
Don't worry I read your posts mate :)
From what I've read and what the mighty Capper and Infinit say.... you can't go wrong...
I went the DIY route..
Innovatek CPU and GPU blocks
Danger Den DDC-12V pump
Dual 120m Rad
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

that's a pretty nice setup there; I guess the big reason why I decided to go with the integrated external system is for better air flow in the case (i.e. not having the radiators blocking the back vents on the case or restricting airflow from within the case); I feel your pain too, heheh, I want 2MB total cache, it's a monster, lol; ok, I believe you talked me into it: 4400 it is, lol, and I can't wait to see the OC on that one!! Man, with all these new additions, my PC is going to run pretty dang high, lol (somewhere in the 2K range, but I didn't price the cheapest e-tailers either, guess I might do a little looking around so I can find a good price with someone who has a high reseller rating; you really can't put a price on customer service, especially in this day where it's withering away quickly, even gone in some instances); the goodies is where it's at on this PC, and the aspect of not upgrading for awhile pleases me too, so the amount is well-justified :mrgreen:
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

as long as you don't blame me for you going broke ;)

i should get a loan of a digital camera later this week, I modded my case so the dual rad is on top, (inside) acting as a giant blowhole.. I haven't finnished yet..

It's a coolermaster atc-110 case, silver, it had an 80mm blowhole/fan - I modded it to fit a single 120mm rad.. then to fit a dual rad after i watercooled the gpu... I could just about fit the rad in after getting a powerstream psu! (infact the cables on the psu are squashed against the rad)

It's only 6mths now since I done any work on it! All I need to do is dremel around the edges..

then there's the inside... NIGHTMARE!!!
photos are worth more than a thousand words! (soon)
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

lol, cable management is shot I take it, heheh; I'm working on a way to manage my cabling, one idea being run some of it under the mobo, another being find some of those cable mounts with double-stick tape (like those found on the bottom of PSU's in OEM implementations). I also plan on mounting my UV lighting in such a way that you can't see the inline converter inside the case when looking inside it from the window (probably just hide it in one of the front corners of the case). Most importantly though, I'll be using round cables where I need to, and have some stylish UV reactant sleeving on my PSU cables, not to mention UV reactant connectors....this is most definitely a labor of love, lol.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

just wait till you see the pics :shock:

and there is no way to hide most of them! The psu has OCZ's special cabling (removes EMI or something), the main thing is it's stiff and also pushed up against the rad!
Include cables from a fan controller, 5 fans, 3 hdds, then water tubing, agp card, sound card, tv card and a Wlan card...

Seriously... :shock: :shock: :shock:
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

oh yeah, noise-free cable, prevents interference from reaching other devices...oh yeah, that stuff is rigid, I don't see how you managed to get the rad's in there without pulling your hair out, lol.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

major force!!!!
now your getting the picture... Not good! lol

BUT
I get good temps, powerfull system, quiet (except for the darn psu), looks good..(when the door is closed! and i finish with the dremel)

In the end I Like it, and that's all that matters :)
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

That's all that matters anyway, just so long as it runs well and is good looking to you; I'm too much of a perfectionist, so more than likely it'll look good to most, if not than screw em, lol :axe:
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

but still there is always pride.... so "Tomorrow" I will finish the edges :)
Illuminati
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Illuminati »

kenc51 wrote:if I go X2 I have to get 2MB cache... otherwise it will always annoy me...
I hear ya there... I plan on doing the same thing in the next month or two!
Justin West
Server Admin & Forum Moderator
Follow me on Twitter | Find us on Facebook
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

decided today... the order is going in for an X2 and DFI board next monday or tuesday :)

now.. who wants to buy my old system?
Nahh only joking...I'm following Capper's rule... It's going to a family member..
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

ordering an X2 today and getting some redline memory too :)
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

infinitevalence wrote:ordering an X2 today and getting some redline memory too :)
ahhh flip... you beat me to it!

What's cpu are you going with? the 4400+ ?

2Million points??? How about 3 :) (there will be at least 3 X2's folding for team 38296)

Have you seen the reviews of the updated ATI board? It's supposed to have MORE memory options than DFI, Includes support for 4v vdimm (without jumppers) -> I'll still go with the Lanparty... But for a board that's a reference design = WOW!!!

Anandtech has a good review
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

i wish i could afford a 4400+ getting a 3800+, still have to hammer out the deal, its in exchange for building a highend video editing rig :)
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

I said earlier.. I have some money coming next week... I can't afford it...I run Intel @ the mo'.. so this is a complete upgrade... I won't be getting a PCie card till Nov/Dec....Will prob eat microwave dinners for a month after getting the card.... Have a perfectly good system here....

Yet I'm still gonna get 2x 1MB cache... (There's a sucker born everyday eah!) :)
killswitch83
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by killswitch83 »

Microwave dinners??? Wow, what luxury, lol. I might be eating hand sandwiches for awhile, lol :rolleyes: . Actually, I would be eating ham sandwiches for awhile, no more nice fresh salads for me for a little bit. It's all well worth it though, after the monster is unleashed, you'll see, muahahahaha :axe: