Folding on laptop? Will heat destroy it?

Here you can find out about our Folding Team! Our goal: to understand protein folding, protein aggregation, and related diseases
KnightRid

Folding on laptop? Will heat destroy it?

Post by KnightRid »

I am curious if I use my core i7 laptop to fold if the heat will fry the poor thing. It gets real hot just using it for normal activities and I can not afford to lose an expensive laptop like this so I figured i should ask your opinions first.

Someone should make a laptop cooling solution that would let you hook up a water cooler instead of a regular TINY fan to the laptop cpu! Can I copyright that right now, just in case someone steals my idea? :finga:
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
skier

Re: Folding on laptop? Will heat destroy it?

Post by skier »

you can do that, if you pull the keyboard and use a USB one, and jerry rig the waterblock (since theres no mount)

I should do this to overclock a 1.66GHz Latitude I have, things idles over 60c and at load bounces off the TJ Max of 100C, throttling

or you could just not fold on it, I'd never suggest using laptops for folding if you have a desktop. if you do it just when we have a folding war or something then that's fine, but not year round
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
KnightRid

Re: Folding on laptop? Will heat destroy it?

Post by KnightRid »

okie dokie.

I am curious what kind of numbers it would put up since it is a quad core i7.

War time!!!
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga: