not getting bigadv anymore

Here you can find out about our Folding Team! Our goal: to understand protein folding, protein aggregation, and related diseases
KnightRid

not getting bigadv anymore

Post by KnightRid »

Is anyone else not getting bigadv units anymore? I just checked my stats and it looks like from 11-3 I have not gotten any bigadv units at all on my core i7 system.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: not getting bigadv anymore

Post by vbironchef »

It's hit or miss with me. I might get one a week if I'm lucky and even when I do they are at reduced points. Everyone is going through the same thing. Not to many people are happy about it either. It's just going to get worse in Jan..
http://folding.typepad.com/news/2011/11 ... -2012.html

Edit: I read on other sites that people are using Linux for folding@home now with a different client called Big Beta WU. I think that is only going to work for a short time. Like I said before, after Jan. You are going to need a 16 core rig.
Edit: I just picked up a fahcore A5 unit. Now when I get a A5 unit I have to turn off my GPU or it won't make the deadline. Said that, it's still at reduced points.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

so they would rather have a few 16core machines rather than 10X the amount in 4-8 core systems. Wow :(

I just cant justify spending more money on hardware just to do a free project. I hope they do not bail on us 8-core users like they did with the ps3. ps3 got good points, then they killed it and made it useless to run.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
skier

Post by skier »

KnightRid wrote:so they would rather have a few 16core machines rather than 10X the amount in 4-8 core systems. Wow :(

I just cant justify spending more money on hardware just to do a free project. I hope they do not bail on us 8-core users like they did with the ps3. ps3 got good points, then they killed it and made it useless to run.
you have to keep in mind that 8-core systems were never meant to even run the big adv., and it's not about points for stanford, it's all about the work itself, all they did was eliminate the work-around basically.
-Austin
Screamin' BCLK: Image
775 System (Overclocking Platform): Q8400/Q8300/E8400/E7400/E7500 - GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 - 4GB (2x2) OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2 1066 CL5 2.1v Corsair TX-750w
Gamer: Asrock Z77 Extreme4, i7 3770K @4.6GHz, ThermalTake Armor A90 modded, 2x4GB GSKILL RipjawsX DDR3 2133 CL9, Corsair HX-750w, MSI GTX660 Twin Frozr
Server2012: Q9300 - 8GB DDR2 - Asus P5QL Pro - Corsair CX430 - Mirrored 2TB Seagate's with 2TB WD cav for fileshare backups, 1TB WD for OS backups
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

skier wrote:
KnightRid wrote:so they would rather have a few 16core machines rather than 10X the amount in 4-8 core systems. Wow :(

you have to keep in mind that 8-core systems were never meant to even run the big adv., and it's not about points for stanford, it's all about the work itself, all they did was eliminate the work-around basically.
Still though, with all the computers running bigadv, you would think it gives a hell of a boost rather than running normal work units. Why take it away when it is working? It really makes no sense.