program will not stay running

Here you can find out about our Folding Team! Our goal: to understand protein folding, protein aggregation, and related diseases
KnightRid

program will not stay running

Post by KnightRid »

OK, someone pointed out that my core i7 wasnt running f@h any more, so I checked into it. It seems for some reason, the folding program close itself at random times. I had it running for a bit one day and got some points so I thought it was fixed after reinstalling but it wasnt.

Any ideas? Computer is not running hot, Windows stays running, any other program will stay running, stress tests run fine but f@h closes randomly.

It is really frustrating :evil:
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: program will not stay running

Post by kenc51 »

Stupid question, but have you rebooted the PC?

Is the system overclocked?

Have you tried reinstalling? Delete all files relating to FAH, including the .log files. One of them could be corrupt.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

+1 for the overclock.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

kenc51 wrote:Stupid question, but have you rebooted the PC?

Is the system overclocked?

Have you tried reinstalling? Delete all files relating to FAH, including the .log files. One of them could be corrupt.
Yes

Yes - 4ghz

Yes

Now if the over clock would be the problem (has worked fine since I got the i7) wouldnt it effect other programs, especially stress programs, also? Also the temps are not going past 62C I believe it was - I should have written it down lol I can check again if needed.

Just seems odd that ONLY the f@h program is closing for no known reason all of a sudden.

I was thinking maybe I had a memory chip going bad but that would effect other programs also. I can't think of anything that would target one program to make it close other than malware and MSE and Malwarebytes say I am clean as a babies behind.
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Maybe you just had a bad WU. Are you aware that we are down to only 15 people folding for Legit Reviews. Hope you get it figured out soon. Don't know why people don't fold at least one WU a day. I made a post to skier about checking his gpu temps and posted that F@H is a good way to check temps. Hope he starts to fold soon as well.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

I cleared everything out for the f@h stuff, even the WU's.

I am thinking of formatting the whole computer and starting from scratch to see if that would fix the problem.

I think people keep dropping out of folding because the bigadv units are being directed towards the newest cpu's, which is stupid IMHO, and with the economy the way it is, even the extra $10 or so a month for the energy usage is just too much right now.
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

which f@h is it that shuts down? smp, GPU, Big adv?

It is kind of messed up that the bigadv only goes for the newest stuff, but it has always been an experimental folding program designed from the start for the newest hardware. So i kind of makes sense that when the technology advances the bigadv gets redesigned to take advantage of the latest....

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

I am running the cpu with bigadv. I never thought about trying it with the flag off - hmmm. I will test that.
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

They stopped assigning Bigadv to 8 cores almost 2 weeks ago and i think as of yesterday only 16 cores will run it and get points.

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

KnightRid, have you checked your firewall settings? It could be that your settings have changed and you need to set the firewall to allow F@H.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

vbironchef wrote:KnightRid, have you checked your firewall settings? It could be that your settings have changed and you need to set the firewall to allow F@H.
Firewall is good, it is the actual program that closes itself.

Tried with bigadv off and on with no change in behavior.

I am going to redo the whole computer and see what happens.