Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Alzheimer's

Here you can find out about our Folding Team! Our goal: to understand protein folding, protein aggregation, and related diseases
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Alzheimer's

Post by vbironchef »

Just watched the movie last night. It deals with Alzheimer's and I recommend the movie and can't wait to see the sequel.
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Rise of the Planet of the Apes and Alzheimer's

Post by Major_A »

Too bad it's just a movie. That disease runs in my family (only one side thank goodness) and I know I don't want to end up with it. I started the movie but I just can't get into it. Too much CGI. What's wrong with having a real ape or puppet instead of everything being CGI? I don't know how they rise but last time I checked humans out number apes and we can live in all climates (apes have a very limited natural range). Now the obvious, don't we also have guns?
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

The apes have a better immune system that can handle the side effects of the drug. I don't want to spoil the ending but the movie implies that if humans are exposed to someone that has become sick from the new drug that they pass it on to someone else. So the ending shows a airplane flight going to New York City then to all parts of the earth so the disease spreads implies all humans will be dead sooner or later.
smack323
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by smack323 »

I liked the movie.
Core i5-6500 - Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 2133 - MSI 2080Ti - Antec 750W - Crucial 525GB SSD - Windows 10 64bit - ASUS 32" LED
Clouseau
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by Clouseau »

CGI is used becuase it is alot easier to pay someone at a desk than an actaul actor, makeup artists, trailor rental, transportation crew, and all the union members required for such a setup. That is why such movies like Ben Hur, Cleopatra, Spartacus, and the original ape series will never be made like they were....too exorbitantly expensive.

The whole issue that John Lithgow's character needed the doses constantly increased reminds me of the same situation in the real life adaptation provided by the movie Awakenings with Robin Williams and Robert DeNiro. As I further digress, favorite Lithgow character has to be Dr. Emilio Lizardo..."...makes the ganglia twitch."
Antec900 case|PhenomII 940 (3.57Ghz @ 1.4625v)|Zalman CPNS9700NT|M3A32-MVP Deluxe WiFi/AP|Bios 1903|MSI HD6950 Twin Frozer III|Catalyst 11.11|8GB(4x2GB)DDR2-800@840 G.Skill PI-Black (4-4-4-10 @ 1.82v)|2xWD1600YS in Raid0|Antec HCP 1200|Pioneer BDC-202 Blu-ray ROM|ASUS E616A3T DVD-ROM|ASUS DRW-1814BLT DVD-RW|VISTA Ultimate x64 SP2