This is getting out of hand

Here you can find out about our Folding Team! Our goal: to understand protein folding, protein aggregation, and related diseases
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

This is getting out of hand

Post by vbironchef »

I guess this is kind of a rant. First off These GPU temps are crazy, with fan speed running most of the time at 80%. Too loud when the wife is home. Second, we only have 14 active folders. Third, I look at what other people and teams PPD are and just don't know how they do it. For example: Team: Overclock.net Name: s3v3n Just amazing PPD: 1,557,659 avg. What's up with that?

Edit: Starting Monday, March 12th I will be folding for a different team. This website just has to much spam on it. It's been fun! To bad about all the spam. :(
FZ1

Re: This is getting out of hand

Post by FZ1 »

Seriously, you're leaving the site because of spam? Weak.
Joe
pwcmed
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pwcmed »

Same reason I don't come around as much.
KnightRid

Post by KnightRid »

Drop in folding numbers is because f@h only wants to support the newest cpu's now a days. bigadv runs fine on core i7 but they only want the newer 12 core+ cpus to get them so everyone's ppd dive bombed because of that.

As for http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/mai ... ame=_s3v3n_ him - as you can see he/she has 317 clients active on the past 7 days. Seems like they may have it on a folding farm or maybe installed on all machines in a workplace. So all you have to do is buy a nice 300 cpu folding farm and you too can be like Mr/Mrs 7 :mrgreen:

Spam - There is nothing any forum can do about spam unless you lock down new signups. Even then some may get through but it will probably make new members a little pissed because they are signing up to post not wait till someone can verify them and allow them to post. Like being between a rock and a hard place, spam is a pain in the rear and makes everyone's lives a little more sucky.

Hope you keep folding!! This team, another team, it is all about helping out so hopefully some of these awful diseases can be treated in the future!
Remember, I am opinionated and nothing I say or do reflects on anyone or anything else but me :finga:
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

vbironchef I'll be sorry to see you go.... and for spam......seriously?

I used to frequent / lurk on other so-called larger forums which have folding teams. They also have the same problems with spam, the only difference is it gets deleted a little sooner.
They also have to contend with a large user base of "assholes" with some staff treating the forums like a dictatorship or they have other elitism issues.

I think part of the problem is that you keep compairing team LR to others. Does it really matter which team or user has the highest PPD as long as the WU's are being processed and results are going back to Stanford?

I used to fold for the science first and foremost. I would do it for team LR to help promote the site. The two were seperate. When I start back folding again, it will be for LR; because I still want to promote the site.

I strongly encourage you to keep in touch and don't stray too far but in the end it's up to you.

Ken
Major_A
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Major_A »

kenc51 wrote:They also have to contend with a large user base of "assholes" with some staff treating the forums like a dictatorship or they have other elitism issues.
All reasons I found this place and left the others behind. It doesn't help when you go to a forum and everyone is the expert and you're wrong. Sorry to see you go vbironchef and I hope you continue to come by and look in on us.
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

Just finished last WU for F@H. I decided not to fold for another team. I'm not a Legit Reviews hater nor will I ever be. I will visit Legit Reviews, just not logged in anymore. I still hate Facebook! :lol:
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Darkstar »

the massive points were probably from people that used HP cloud folding, saw someone racking them up in another forum....

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=20932

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
FZ1

Post by FZ1 »

It won't be long before the new site is live which should mitigate the spam.
Joe
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

vbironchef,

I'm sad to see your comments on this thread. I'm not sure what else we can do to prevent spam. We delete it multiple times daily, have the captcha enabled and all the forum mods stay on top of it the best they can. :(

The past week I was out of town for the game developer conference and some editors days covering upcoming products, so I was off the grid for a few days. Over the past week Velo:Sity, XstollieX, kenc51, KnightRid and I have all deleted and banned people and it's been daily.

If there is anything I can do to get you to stick around let me know and I'll make it happen. I'm open to suggestions and don't want to see regulars go because of spam.

Like Joe said the new site is coming along nicely and we will be rolling it out from April to June.
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!