Electric bill W/O F@H

Here you can find out about our Folding Team! Our goal: to understand protein folding, protein aggregation, and related diseases
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Electric bill W/O F@H

Post by vbironchef »

I just received my electric bill today. The bill shows my monthly usage for the month and past usage for the past two years. Without F@H my daily average usage for the month of June is 14.03 kWh which comes out to $53.81 dollars. Compared to last year when I was F@H my June bill was 28.83 kWh which is double the amount of electricity used and cost. The year of 2010 for the month of June or two years ago my daily average electricity usage (kWh) was 37.67. So as you can see F@H is costly. F@H is a great cause, unfortunately I feel I can use the extra money for other things just as important. Fold on everyone! Just wanted to share my electric bill with everyone.
geokilla

Re: Electric bill W/O F@H

Post by geokilla »

You can always just fold when you're running the computer but not doing important things such as gaming. That's what I do, and have always done. But I took it to the next level (for me) by shutting it off whenever I'm gone for a couple hours. I used to try to keep it on to try to have my computer folding for over 12 hours a day.
Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.2Ghz @ 1.16V (CPU-Z + LinX)
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H F14 BIOS
ASUS GTX 460 768MB @ 800/1950
Kingston HyperX DDR3 8GB @ DDR-1333
Corsair AX750
Crucial M4 128GB
Western Digital Black 1TB
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ EVO
BenQ E2420HD
---------------------
I AM CANADIAN!
vbironchef
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by vbironchef »

geokilla wrote:You can always just fold when you're running the computer but not doing important things such as gaming. That's what I do, and have always done. But I took it to the next level (for me) by shutting it off whenever I'm gone for a couple hours. I used to try to keep it on to try to have my computer folding for over 12 hours a day.
Question is, what would you rather do with a extra $600.00 to $700.00 dollars a year?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I'm shocked the difference is that much as well.

This has me wondering...

I wonder what the average kWh per work unit is on average...

Our team has 480,000+ WUs turned in... How much money did it cost us to do that?
tcert.php.jpg
tcert.php.jpg (64.9 KiB) Viewed 13531 times
Find us on Facebook to discover the faces behind the names!
Follow Me on Twitter!
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by bubba »

Been thinking of setting up a small ITX box with a card in it to fold at work. Something I can stick off to the side and not stick out.

Can't run it at home, hard enough to control room temp for cooler testing without a folding rig dumping heat into the room. Even then, if a PC is not being actively used it is shut down.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Maryam23
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by Maryam23 »

I will try this.