Folding Questions

Here you can find out about our Folding Team! Our goal: to understand protein folding, protein aggregation, and related diseases
Razorbacx
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Folding Questions

Post by Razorbacx »

I've heard you guys talk about folding and so I read the Sticky about what it is...sounds really cool and so I may jump in on this. However, because I only have one rig what is the wear and tear to be expected? Can my wife and kids still surf the net or play games while I'm at work or is your machine fully dedicated to this purpose? Just trying to balance everything out before I commit to anything...

Thanks
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I run Folding on a dual-core system and it works at 50% load (only one of the two cores is being used) and I can't noitce it's running even when playing CS:S online.

On my friends PC (an old p4 single core) i have it reduced to 70% load so they won't limit their user expierence.

Some run folding at 100% and some at 50%.... just have to find the happy medium for you.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

well F@h does have a good habit of showing you weaknesses in overclocks. If your overclock is not 100% stable it will show that. Other than that. No real wear and tear on the hardware.
kenc51
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by kenc51 »

I run a dual core 3800+ and have one instance running @ 98% and the other @ 100%......I can play games etc with it running and no probs.
The only thing folding does is heat up your CPU.....just like any CPU intensive app does......but it runs in "IDLE" priority, which means it only uses the CPU when NOTHING else does!
You don't need a fast CPU or to run for 24/7......but it helps
Even if you run it for ~2hrs a day (or less) it all counts!

I'll run 3DMark03 with FAH running on both cores and then with FAH disabled.....to show the difference.
I'll edit this post in a few mins with the results!

//UPDATE
FAH running on both cores, Outlook running with Utorrent and Steam downloading......should compair to light use

3DMark03 Score - best of 3 runs WITH FAH RUINNING

FAH DISABLED, still with Outlook etc running

Only ~200 points difference and it's 3dmark03 which is old and is more a "system benchmark" than a "GFX benchmark"

Come on..........join! you know you wanna :finga:

Team 38296 -> Do it now 8)
Last edited by kenc51 on Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

you know one of the advantages of folding for a small team like ours is there is a lot of competition. I started less than a year ago, in fact 7 months ago, and I have risen with only really 3 computers to be #20 and in the top 5 in production. And by no stretch of the imagination am I a powerhouse. Anyone with a little effort can really change the big guys on this team.
Bwall
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bwall »

I had never folded before Monday, the whole GPU thing got me going and thought I'd see what it was all about. I've got 5 WU in so far with that one X1900XTX running 3d clock speeds but you can expect to see some more WU show up today and tomorrow as I got one of the X1950XTX's up and running along side an E6600 @ 3.6GHz. :D I'm coming to get some of you top dogs!

The E6600 is currently at 23min per step...is this good/bad/middle ground? Running a single client at 95% CPU. The other core is helping out the GPU.
Kinda frazzled that it's running a unit that's only going to give ~400points after 1 1/2 days.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

depends on the work unit. Tell us what WU it is and we can tell you whether its good or not
pcrobot
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by pcrobot »

I do encourage you to join in on the fun! If they play a lot of games you might try the text client. I have heard, but not tried it myself, that it doesn't have to be shut down during a game.
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by dicecca112 »

the client does not have to current. Whether you run it from console or run it as a service.