Rant about Windows Vista

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
SassyfrasT
Legit User
Legit User

Rant about Windows Vista

Post by SassyfrasT »

I wanted to start a whole new post about Windows Vista to encourage more of you out there who I am sure has had some stressful experiences with the bugs that Vista still possesses despite the updates. I have Premium myself and receive all the automatic updates and while things are much better, whenever I have an unusual problem, I just know it has to be my OS. Very frustrating.

For example, until Adobe came out with their latest version of the AR, Vista prompted me to run it anyway with the window that popped up saying the infamous "Windows has problems running this version of software....". I would run it and not have problems, usually. However, the average person would be intimidated into thinking they could do nothing with their Windows program. And we all know how much we rely on the AAR for everyday (or at least often) use. I still have quirks to deal with where this common software is concerned. I could go on and on about other specialty software too.

Would love to hear your experiences.
Darkstar
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: Rant about Windows Vista

Post by Darkstar »

Thats definitely good for a few Rants, I had one of the first Vista Beta's and had nothing but problems, crashes, BSOD's etc.

I currently run Vista Ult on a folding/testing rig and have been playing around with different programs, installs, etc. I like it alot more now (especially since disabling UAC) and have been able to get several programs to work after fiddling around with GPEDIT . Still it would have been nice if they came out with a business edition of it with all the crap stripped out.

Still, its not ready for the masses.... :)

:drinkers:
Phenom II 1075T,Phenom II 1090T,Intel i7 870
Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Evga GTX460
8 GB Corsair
Agility2 120GB SSD
Dual 24" Samsungs LCD's
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

I've only been running Vista (Ultimate) for a short period of time now and after doing all the updates (including SP1) and getting all the latest versions of the software I like to run, I'm actually starting to like the thing. It's not nearly as fast as Ubuntu due to its huge overhead, but Vista does have a place on my triple boot system..................... :mrgreen:
duplo83
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by duplo83 »

SassyfrasT wrote: "Windows has problems running this version of software....".
I understand and agree with what you're saying about Vista's compatibility issues, they really need to work out the kinks, especially with a well-used program like Reader. However, isn't it a bit more responsible of them to at least let you know that you may experience problems with the program, as opposed to knowing it will and saying nothing about it? I know that XP has it's fair share of problems with certain programs, and those just jump out of nowhere at you. Perhaps a little warning that something may occur is a good thing? Just a thought. :dunno:
Case=Antec Twelve Hundred
Mobo=EVGA 790i Ultra SLI
CPU=Intel Q9450 OC @ 3.7 Ghz
GPU=GTX 280 X 2 SLI
RAM=Corsair DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24
Sound=Creative X-fi Xtreme Gamer
PSU=SilverStone DA1000 1000W
3DMark Vantage=Overall-21,591
CPU-43,435
GPU-18,491
Bio-Hazard
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Bio-Hazard »

Strange how AR (8.1.2) works perfectly with my version of Vista, not a single warning or caution, even my old Photo Shop runs fine................ :mrgreen:
SassyfrasT
Legit User
Legit User

Post by SassyfrasT »

Yes AR 8.1.2 does seem to be working just fine with my Vista as well. However, it is only been the last couple of revisions that are running more smoothly with Vista. (was just using AR as an example...not looking for competition) It's like duplo83 says, it IS amazing how most programs have (OR HAD) issues with Vista. Seems that Vista came out before many ISP's and major software programs were ready for it, even more advanced for programs than XP was during its launch. They are all slowly catching up.....finally. Used to be I would be using any program (or search engine) and suddenly it would start acting up. Either it froze, or just acted weird. Still happens just not near as frequently as it used to., acutally it's getting more and more rare. Thank God for updates!!! Yet boy, has it been an uphill climb some days. Hard to get my work done sometimes, know what I mean? Just thought some of you would like to unload your aggravation with this OS.
ibleet
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by ibleet »

I trusted MS and gave Vista a try early on....big mistake and I quickly reverted to XP.

MS is a big company with lots of money. Shame on them for releasing something to the public long before it was ready.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. They will not get a 2nd chance, and I will not recommend it to anyone.
HôS
Legit User
Legit User

Post by HôS »

I gave Vista a try for a couple of months last year .
Purchased the Business edition for a pretty penny .
Really had high hopes that it would become my new favorite OS .
Unfortunately , things didn't turn out that way .
Between resource devouring , strange glitches and compatibility issues with just about everything I threw at it ,
I fealt that I had no other alternative than to return to XP Pro .
Now I'm hearing rumors of Windows 7 and I assure you I have no intension of hopping on board for that .
MS has left me leery about trying any of their new offerings .
Current build :

Cooler Master Stacker 830 SE
Cooler Master Real Power Pro 1000-watt Power Supply
Intel 975XBX2 (Bad Axe 2)
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66 GHz Processor(not OC'ed as of yet)
Zalman CNPS9500A LED CPU fan
4GB(2x2GB) Corsair XMS2 DHX DDR2 800MHz Memory - 4-4-4-12
ATI Radeon HD 3870 - 512 MB GDDR4 Graphics Card
WD Raptor 150 GB SATA - 10K RPM - 16 MB Cache
WD Caviar SE16 320 GB SATA - 7200 RPM - 16 MB Cache
Windows XP Pro