Rebuilt os unstable?

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Rebuilt os unstable?

Post by XstollieX »

Im at a loss. I had my machine prime stable for 24 hours plus. Installed sp 3 and it blew up. I could not run my gfx more that 6x4 4 bit. Thought my crashes while overclocking caused an issue. I decided to rebuild droped my rig to default bios settings and all went well updated installed some games, then brought back my oc profile. Now prime blows up almost instantly. Im gonna run prime overnight+ at stock settings see if its a hardware failure. Could something about the os cause prime to fail? Figured ill post this in the os thread. If its not the right thread sorry

p.s. im running windows xp pro sp2 latest updates
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Re: Rebuilt os unstable?

Post by martini161 »

it very well could be just a latent hardware failure. if something happens to you hardware that would cause it to fail, it doesnt always happen instantly
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

Hmm Thats not what I wanted to hear. If it runs at stock clocks for 24+ how would you recommend to test the hardware. I'm thinking ill throw a fresh build on and try the oc profile and see if that works tomorrow. That will at least tell me if the os is corrupted.
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Did you do memtest as well?

It could be that the CPU was stable, but the northbridge and/or memory weren't, and they have been introducing errors slowly into windows leading to eventual corruption of the install.

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)
XstollieX
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

Post by XstollieX »

Well Looks like this was a f'up on my part. After I rebuilt the system and loaded my oc profile I didn't check it. Monday like i said I dropped back to default settings in the bios, also ran a defrag. Ran prime for 26 hours stable. This morning I loaded my oc profile looked at it and my Multiplier was at 9 instead of 8 so I may have been at 3.6 instead of the 3.2. Running prime now to see if its stable. Sometimes I'm so Smart #-o
DMB2000uk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DMB2000uk »

Haha, There is always something obvious that it is easy to overlook :P

Dan
Image (<- Clickable)