Yet another HAL.DLL corrupt/missing topic

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
matrixsage
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Yet another HAL.DLL corrupt/missing topic

Post by matrixsage »

Ive had this problem for around 1/2 a year now, and ive tried almost everything

1. fixboot didnt do crap
2. chkdsk doesnt work
3. bootcfg /rebuild didnt do anything
4. Editing boot.ini didnt work
5. Expanding f:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll actually made it worst
6. Installing XP on my secondary, then copying the hal.dll from the secondary to the broken drive doesnt work
7. dll from downloaddll or whatever that site is called doesnt work
8. copying the DLL from windows/servicepackfiles\i386 doesnt work

However, unlike most people, i know how this happened and its a bit different. I actually unplugged the SATA cable (i know, stupid as hell ) while moving my fan and i got the error. So im praying its not a hardware fault, HOWEVER, the drive itself works fine. If i put my streamlined XP disk, and choose BOOT FROM HD, it will skip straight from the menu to XP loading screen. IF i boot from HD WITHOUT the disk however, i will get the standard corrupted/missing go replace it. Because XP actually works on the broken drive, i tried doing the expanding f (step 5) in cmdprompt instead of console recovery and it actually expanded (while doing in it in console actually never works because its a readonly)

If anyone can tell me some steps that i can do before i conclude my HD went semi dead, i would be grateful, as booting through the disk everyday kinda gets on my nerves
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: Yet another HAL.DLL corrupt/missing topic

Post by top »

You've probably seen this already, but try this method:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/win ... =185301251

If you have, then the only thing I can suggest is to check the hard drive for bad sectors. Even though your Windows can boot on a streamline(That is what you're saying, right?), I don't think it necessarily means that the sectors where the original HAL sits is good.

I don't know anything about streamlining other than the concept of it. But, I said what I said because I had a similar problem with a RAID 0 configuration. The thing is I couldn't even access the drive's data alone because the hard drive was actually corrupted with bad sectors. I had to use data recovery software on a separate computer to backup my data.

You did mess with the cabling when the system was on, right? If you've been trying to figure out this problem for over a year, then your best option is to give up and go buy a cheap very large capacity hard drive and backup the data. Or better yet, if you can, copy the HAL from the streamline
matrixsage
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

Post by matrixsage »

top wrote:You've probably seen this already, but try this method:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/win ... =185301251

If you have, then the only thing I can suggest is to check the hard drive for bad sectors. Even though your Windows can boot on a streamline(That is what you're saying, right?), I don't think it necessarily means that the sectors where the original HAL sits is good.

I don't know anything about streamlining other than the concept of it. But, I said what I said because I had a similar problem with a RAID 0 configuration. The thing is I couldn't even access the drive's data alone because the hard drive was actually corrupted with bad sectors. I had to use data recovery software on a separate computer to backup my data.

You did mess with the cabling when the system was on, right? If you've been trying to figure out this problem for over a year, then your best option is to give up and go buy a cheap very large capacity hard drive and backup the data. Or better yet, if you can, copy the HAL from the streamline

Yes, it was on when i was moving the cable which eventually unplugged (dumb move ) chkdsk says there are bad sectors, and when i tell it to fix it, it says its not able to. And yes i did try that method and im just going to replace it
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Post by top »

Have you tried using the Hard Drive's Manufacture diagnostic tools? The software may be able to repair the bad sectors. It's a long shot but it's worth checking out. After that, if successful, you could probably replace the HAL