If windows update stops installing updates after SP3 install

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
bubba
Staff Writer
Staff Writer

If windows update stops installing updates after SP3 install

Post by bubba »

Ok, long day fighting a XP reinstall. I had an XP disk with SP2 sliptreamed to it so I used that for the install. Everything was fine and dandy untill SP3 got in on the party. Widows update would not install an update for nothing, down load it just fine, wouldn't install it.

Well after hammering around on MS website and google I was able to find this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144 on the support site.

aperantly the windows updater DLL file can become unregistared during the update, thus keeping the downlaods from installing. To get it back use the fallowing steps

To register the Wups2.dll file in Windows, follow these steps:

1. Stop the Automatic Updates service. To do this, follow these steps:
a. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
b. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER: net stop wuauserv

2. Register the Wups2.dll file. To do this, follow these steps:
a. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER: regsvr32 %windir%\system32\wups2.dll
Note For a computer that is running Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, type the following command, and then press ENTER: regsvr32 %windir%\syswow64\wups2.dll
b. Click OK on each verification message that you receive.

3. Start the Automatic Updates service. To do this, type the following command at the command prompt, and then press ENTER: net start wuauserv
4. Exit the command prompt. To do this type exit, and then press ENTER.

Just posting this to save someone else from having to digg to find the info.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Sparky
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: If windows update stops installing updates after SP3 install

Post by Sparky »

Good timing bubba....I just had the same thing happen to me over the weekend. Installed XP Home with SP2, then installed SP3 from disc, suddenly I could download the updates but they wouldn’t install. Google it and tried a few different solutions, but this one ultimately did the trick for me:
http://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=6714
To fix the .dll issue, you will need to re-register a couple of .dll files. To do this, follow these easy steps:

Run the command prompt by clicking on the Start Menu and selecting Run. Type "cmd" and hit Enter.
In the new window that came up, type each of the following commands, hitting enter after each one:
REGSVR32 WUAPI.DLL
REGSVR32 WUAUENG1.DLL
REGSVR32 ATL.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS2.DLL
REGSVR32 WUCLTUI.DLL
REGSVR32 WUPS.DLL
REGSVR32 WUWEB.DLL
REGSVR32 WUAUENG.DLL
MSI Meg X570 Unify | Ryzen 3900X | Noctuna NH-U12A | G.Skill RipJaws DDR4 3600 16GB | Samsung 970 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe | (2) WD Blue 3TB Backups | MSI 2060 Super Gaming X | Meshify - C | SB X-Fi
DX
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: If windows update stops installing updates after SP3 install

Post by DX »

I have run into that a few times. I have made it a batch file and run it off a flash drive when I hit it. I have also had issues with login scripts failing to run after SP3 but running ccleaner seems to fix that most of the time. Other times I have to redo the profile in question.
AMD 960T OC'ed to 4gz
ASRock 970 EXTREME4 AM3+ AMD 970
2 X G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)(16gb)
EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2682-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16