What can slipstreaming do?

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
bimfi
Legit Little One
Legit Little One

What can slipstreaming do?

Post by bimfi »

I've read up on how to slipstream XP and SP2. What would I be able to do with it once I've accomplished this? Could I use it to reinstall a corrupt OS when someone has lost their discs? Could I use it in conjunction with their product key code, or would I still have to use the one that came with my CD (retail, XP home upgrade)?
ViPeR.Ja
Legit Fanatic
Legit Fanatic

Re: What can slipstreaming do?

Post by ViPeR.Ja »

slipstream allows you to upgrade your windows installation files to the latest service pack so when you install windows you already have the service pack. Yes you will need to use their cd key as long as the version is the same as you are installing ie. XP pro or XP home
Dell Sucks.... In my opinion anyways
New Rig
AMD Phenom II 955 at 3.2ghz
DFI 790
4GB OCZ 1066mhz
MSI 280 GTX
650Watts Antec Truepower Trio
DaddyRabbit
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Re: What can slipstreaming do?

Post by DaddyRabbit »

ViPeR.Ja wrote:slipstream allows you to upgrade your windows installation files to the latest service pack so when you install windows you already have the service pack. Yes you will need to use their cd key as long as the version is the same as you are installing ie. XP pro or XP home
Yeah, what he said ^^

However, if his CD key was the from the sticker on the side of his Dell (or other OEM) then his OEM CD key will most likely not work with your retail media. Also I noticed that yours is an "Upgrade" so some additional issues might arise because of that.
Asrock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Core i7 2600k
Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler
8gig (2x4) G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600
Powercolor HD5870 PCS+
OCZ Agility 2 240G SSD (boot, programs, games)
WD Caviar Black 1TB (Data)
CM UCP RS700-AAAAA3 700W 80+ Silver PSU
CM Storm Sniper
Gateway FHD2400
Win 7 Pro 64bit