Which distro has the lowest overhead?

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Which distro has the lowest overhead?

Post by martini161 »

Want to know so that i can get the best folding performance. its going to be run in a vm, through VMware workstation. and before you say anything im not going to bother with gentoo :) i guess since its going to be low overhead xfce or flux desktop would be preferred? oh and it has to be 64bit since SMP only works on 64 bit linux os's
dicecca112
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Which distro has the lowest overhead?

Post by dicecca112 »

I'm planning on a creating a VM that is console only, no WM, that would be your best bet. I wouldn't recommend notfred's VM, its buggy as hell. Take a Ubuntu Server OS and just don't install a WM. If you need any help let me know. I'd write it today, but I Red Sox Playoff game and a hot date, so yeah, I won't be sitting in front of the Laptop. Feel free to PM me and I'll get to it tomorrow.
DaIceMan
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by DaIceMan »

dicecca112 wrote:I'm planning on a creating a VM that is console only, no WM, that would be your best bet. I wouldn't recommend notfred's VM, its buggy as hell. Take a Ubuntu Server OS and just don't install a WM. If you need any help let me know. I'd write it today, but I Red Sox Playoff game and a hot date, so yeah, I won't be sitting in front of the Laptop. Feel free to PM me and I'll get to it tomorrow.
Should have sat in front of the laptop. Hope the date at least went well for you, as the Sox game most certainly did not.
Gamer - Thermaltake Element S | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Black | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L | Intel E8400 | Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro | 4GB OCZ Reaper Ram | XFX 8800GTX | Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer | Seagate 7200.10 320GB

HTPC / Folder - Palit 9600GT 1GB Sonic | AMD Phenom 9600 | Corsair DHX 4GB | ECS GF8200A | OCZ StealthXStream 500
Thanks to Palit, AMD, Corsair and ECS for sponsoring the 2008 Folding Give-away!

martini161
Mr Awesome
Mr Awesome

Post by martini161 »

anyone have any experience with damn small linux?
Alathald
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by Alathald »

It's pretty simple to use, though IDK how well it supports folding...not sure if it has a 64 bit version.