Longhorn System Specs...

Operating Systems
Windows, Linux, Solaris, Red Hat, etc.....32 bit or 64 bit.
If its an OS, its here.
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Longhorn System Specs...

Post by Apoptosis »

This is kinda bothersome...
According to Microsoft Watch, typical Longhorn computers may require dual-core CPU's running at 4-6GHz with at least two gigs of RAM, a terabyte of storage, a 1 Gbit built-in Ethernet-wired port and an 802.11g wireless link.

It should also have a graphics processor that runs three times faster than those on the market today.
How are companies and the mass public going to shell out the cash for all that... I hope they find a way to cut costs down... ie: 1000" wafers! LOL
kalmark
Legit Aficionado
Legit Aficionado

Post by kalmark »

Well, this does not sound too good. But if you consider that even the top in-progress games, like Doom3 need less resources, this might sound a wicked.

And why would an OS need gigabit LAN? And wireless LAN too? Why both?
Apoptosis
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Apoptosis »

I believe so home users can have their laptops and home devices connected through their pc and not another random AP (access point) such as a router, hub, or add in device.
pwnz0riz0r
Legit User
Legit User

Post by pwnz0riz0r »

did someone mention UT?

wait...is that what MS is calling their new OS? well how bout that! maybe the se (2nd ed.) will be called the Corn Husker or Fightn' Irish.

but as a longhorn myself, i think the idea is rather gayed. however i guess they could have called it the SOONER.
EET anyone?
infinitevalence
Legit Extremist
Legit Extremist

Post by infinitevalence »

one word GENTOO!
"Don't open that! It's an alien planet! Is there air? You don't know!"
Genuine
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Genuine »

That's ridiculous, how many business people need to run Windows on their lap tops? They don't have the need for a fast gpu, heck, I don't think you can get performance levels like a nvidia 6800 in a laptop by then :lol:
Even the processors in laptops are optimised for low power consumption, not raw desktop speed.
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

Persoanlly, i think thats wrong, that kinda power wont be around in 2005/2006... which is release timescale for Longhorn.

Longhorn apparenltey has tiers, Tier 1 users are the ones with DX9 GFX cards and fast CPU's and lots of RAM, they are the ones who will get the best experiance. Then theres Tier 2 users, these are the ones that dont have DX9 cards and have a slower CPU and less RAM, they will have certain options disabled....

This isnt solid.... but apparentley its floating around....
dzjepp
Legit User
Legit User

Post by dzjepp »

That can't be the actuall specs for Longhorn. Although I hear that Longhorn will incorporate advanced graphical features (you would probably want to have a nice top of the line videocard) I can't see it requiring a terabyte of hard drive storage. Anyway the Longhorn leaks have worked fine here, but yes the final retail build might see more improvements and additions so the specs could go up significally.
Immortal

Post by Immortal »

currently windows XP is 3GB at the most, now ur telling me that Longhorn will be almost 342 times bigger than XP size wise, and require about 20x more processing power?

Somehow i think not!
Sintax
Legit User
Legit User

Post by Sintax »

I've heard something about by the time Longhorn comes out that it's going to make everyone want to run Linux, but I don't remember exactly what it was..
bliSSter
Legit Enthusiast
Legit Enthusiast

Post by bliSSter »

wtf?....why exactly do i need 1gb of ram and a processor 4 times the speed of my current machine for the f*cking OS?....for games - um - okay....could easily see that and then some....for gfx - sure - photoshop can be a ram hog....

BUT IT'S A FREAKING OPERATING SYSTEM!!....

sorry - i tend to get a bit bent when i know that i can run linux solid on a k62 450Mhz system and it actually performs decent with only 256MB ram....the second that i can run my games on a linux box, i'm kicking MS off my machine...win is an ice-cream-scoop of ass compared to most of the linux distros that i've seen in terms of CPU usage, stability, security, blah, blah, blah....

just need to be able to run battlefield....and have support for my joystick....lol

- bliSS
Asus K8N-E Deluxe
Athlon 64 3000+
Corsair XMS Pro XL 1GB
BFG 6800GT